Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> on 2006/03/30 17:47:46 UTC

Download msvcr71.dll rather than distributing it

Is "www.dlldump.com" our chosen supplier?  I've never heard of them.
I browsed around and didn't see it anywhere on the microsoft.com
website.  I know we are checking the MD5 to ensure we get the right
thing; any idea about reliability etc.

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: Download msvcr71.dll rather than distributing it

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> Paulex Yang wrote:
>> I'm not a lawyer, but as to my knowledge, many commercial as well as
>> open source software distribution includes msvcr71.dll, say, wincvs,
>> ImageMagick, VMWare, OpenOffice, etc(just a few cases).
>
> Right, but included w/ an app.
>

>> And the vctoolkit2003's EULA says:
>> "2.2 Redistributable Code-General. Microsoft grants you a
>> nonexclusive, royalty-free right to reproduce and distribute the
>> object code form of any portion of the Software listed in REDIST.TXT
>> ("Redistributable Code"). For general redistribution requirements for
>> Redistributable Code, see Section3.1, below. "
>>
>> but its redist.txt doesn't list any files! it says:
>>
>> "There are no redistributable files (i.e., dll's/cab's, etc.) included
>> with the Visual C++ Toolkit 2003. Object library files included with
>> the Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 (e.g. the C Runtime Library static
>> libraries designated with the suffix ".lib") will be automatically
>> linked to your program when they are compiled by the Visual C++
>> compiler and linker. Inclusion of these static libraries as compiled
>> into your program is acceptable; you may not, however, redistribute
>> the static libraries standalone - on their own."
>>
>> While MSDN also said files in redist.txt is redistributable, the
>> VS.net's redist.txt DOES include msvcr71.dll. Does it mean only
>> VisualStudio user can redistribute it?
>
> Heh.  Good question.  My concern is that it's not *indepdentently*
> redistributable (just like sun's binaries like javamail aren't). However
> I don't know, and asked my question to motivate someone to take a look.

Look where?  I don't see anything to prevent it in the VisualC++ files
or on MSDN -- in fact, my reading of the EULA is that it is ok (but
IANAL etc).

Regards,
Tim

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Tim Ellison wrote:
> The Microsoft VisualStudio redist.txt allows it to be redistributed,
>
> "The following list reflects all files available with Microsoft Visual
> Studio for redistribution;...
> msvcr71.dll
> "
>
> and the MSDN website [1] says:
>
> "An application should use and redistribute msvcr71.dll, and it should
> avoid placing a copy or using an existing copy of msvcr71.dll in the
> system directory. Instead, the application should keep a copy of
> msvcr71.dll in its application directory with the program executable."
>
> So is the question, can _anyone_ (i.e. "dlldump.com") redistribute this
> file?

Or to make the question more precise, can anyone redistribute this file
_independent_ of the application?  That's my concern.

geir

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com>.

Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> This gives me the heebie-jeebies. What is the license for that dll?
> Are people allowed to re-distribute independent of an app that uses it?
>
> Where else can people get it?
>
> Tim Ellison wrote:
>> Ok, if somebody prefers a different source send a note.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Tim
>>
>> Mark Hindess wrote:
>>> I failed to find it on microsoft.com too. Though I'd be happy to be
>>> corrected.
>>>
>>> It was the first hit on the google search I did - or the first that
>>> didn't use javascript and popups to serve the download. It's trivial
>>> to change if you find a better source.
>>>
>>> I was careful to make sure the file it served had the md5sum of the
>>> file in svn. I also checked the sha1sum just to be a little more
>>> confident of its validity.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> -Mark.

>>> --
>>> Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>
>>> IBM Java Technology Centre, UK.

--
Paulex Yang
China Software Development Lab
IBM

Re: Download msvcr71.dll rather than distributing it

Posted by Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com>.
Yes, it is included in .Net framework, but I'm not sure if it is
included in pure 32 bits Windows distribution.

I guess it is not perfect to make our potential user into another JRE
like situation, which is, if you want to run Harmony, you must download
.Net Framework manually and separately.  That's why so many application
redistribute this dll.

It is good only if either all mainstream windows distribution includes
this dll (like kernel32.dll), or this MSVCR71.dll is freely
redistributable, or we can perform the download automatically during
installation without procedure like Sun's JRE download.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.
As far as I undersood the dll file in not distributed alone. Dot
NET redistributable package on microsoft.com [1] contains it but the package
size is 23Mb.

Thanks,
Stepan.

[1]
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=262d25e3-f589-4842-8157-034d1e7cf3a3&DisplayLang=en

On 3/30/06, Tim Ellison wrote:

> Is "www.dlldump.com" our chosen supplier?  I've never heard of them.
> I browsed around and didn't see it anywhere on the microsoft.com
> website.  I know we are checking the MD5 to ensure we get the right
> thing; any idea about reliability etc.
>
> Regards,
> Tim
>

> Mark Hindess (JIRA) wrote:
> > download msvcr71.dll rather than distributing it
> >
> >          Key: HARMONY-282
> >

> > Tim suggested we should download the msvcr71.dll rather than
> distributing it.
> >

> --
>
> Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
> IBM Java technology centre, UK.