Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Koni Roth <ko...@bluewin.ch> on 2003/08/01 22:01:09 UTC

Validator newbie - server side dynamic validation ??

Hi list
I'm using the validation framework that comes with Struts 1.1. Client
side validation with JavaScript works fine. I read the manuals and the
'Struts in Action' book but somehow I still do not understand how
dynamic (automatic?) validation server side works! What exactly do I
have to set in my LogonAction and struts-config?? Here my settings:

validation.xml:
---------------
<form name="LogonForm">
     <field property="logon_name"
              depends="required">
         <arg0   key="prompt.logon.username"/>
     </field>
     <field property="password"
              depends="required">
         <arg0   key="prompt.logon.password"/>
     </field>
</form>

login.jsp:
----------
     dynamicJavascript="true"
      staticJavascript="false"/>
<script language="Javascript1.1" src="/staticJavascript.jsp"></script>

struts-config.xml:
------------------
<action path="/user/login"
      type="ch.rothweb.user.LogonAction"
      name="LogonForm"
parameter="method"
     scope="request"
  validate="false"
     input="/user/login.jsp">

LogonAction.java:
?????????
?????????

When I set 'validate="true"' in struts-config.xml my login.jsp comes
blank (white). What do I have to write in LogonAction.java ????? Do I
have to call a validate() method or what ??

Thanks for any suggestions and examples.
Koni