Posted to jcp-open@apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> on 2010/09/08 19:45:04 UTC

Java SE 7 JSR Timeline

Apparently Oracle is "leaning heavily" towards shipping JDK 7 (minus
Lambda, Jigsaw, and part of Coin) Mid 2011 concurrently with a Java SE 7
JSR:

   http://blogs.sun.com/mr/entry/rethinking_jdk7

What's the typical timeline for a Java SE JSR, in terms of when one
would need to have an JSR Review Ballot, Early Draft Review, Public
Review, Proposed Final Draft, and Final Release?

Prior releases took two to four years:

http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=270
http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=176
http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=59

Arguably, a lot of the engineering work has been done by now, but if
Oracle is planning a mid 2011 release, shouldn't the JSR Review Ballot
already be out and available by now?

- Sam Ruby

Re: Java SE 7 JSR Timeline

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@joda.org>.
There are minimum time periods for each element specified in the JSPA.

For example, the votes are typically two weeks. The early draft is
four weeks IIRC. I think I worked out that it was possible in 3 months
if you went for it, but 5-6 months is probably more realistic for an
"aggressive" schedule.

Of course, this all depends on whether Oracle intends to keep the JCP,
and whether there has been any pressure applied to other JCP members.
Like a lawsuit for example.

Whatever happens we'll know much more in a couple of weeks.

Stephen

Re: Java SE 7 JSR Timeline

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Sep 8, 2010, at 1:45 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> Apparently Oracle is "leaning heavily" towards shipping JDK 7 (minus Lambda, Jigsaw, and part of Coin) Mid 2011 concurrently with a Java SE 7 JSR:
>
>  http://blogs.sun.com/mr/entry/rethinking_jdk7
>
> What's the typical timeline for a Java SE JSR, in terms of when one would need to have an JSR Review Ballot, Early Draft Review, Public Review, Proposed Final Draft, and Final Release?
>
> Prior releases took two to four years:
>
> http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=270
> http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=176
> http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=59

They were playing by the rules.

> Arguably, a lot of the engineering work has been done by now, but if Oracle is planning a mid 2011 release, shouldn't the JSR Review Ballot already be out and available by now?

Years ago, actually.

geir