Posted to dev@mxnet.apache.org by Lieven Govaerts <lg...@apache.org> on 2019/04/02 09:13:25 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Rebrand Gluon to MXNet imperative or something MXNet.

Hi,

On Thu, 28 Mar 2019 at 22:08, Mu Li <mu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The name Gluon is originally used for a collaboration project between
> Amazon and Microsoft [1].
> I pinged both Apache and Amazon legal teams later, they confirmed Gluon is
> not considered as a trademark.
>
> [1]
>
> https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/introducing-gluon-a-new-library-for-machine-learning-from-aws-and-microsoft/
>
> the outcome of that collaboration project as a separate API to multiple
backends seems to be effectively abandoned:

https://github.com/gluon-api/gluon-api

The code ends up in the Apache MXNet codebase, but is never integrated in
Microsoft's CNTK.

https://github.com/Microsoft/CNTK/issues/3049

If the Gluon name is important to the ASF we should treat it as a brand and
at least check if no one else owns the rights to that name. (Microsoft
maybe?)

What was the original plan with GluonCV and GluonNLP?

https://github.com/dmlc/gluon-nlp

https://github.com/dmlc/gluon-cv

While these are separate projects, they share the same Gluon name
with MXNet Gluon, are hosted on MXNet.io, and besides using the ALv2
license the code is also licensed to the ASF:
# Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
# or more contributor license agreements.

Are these projects on their way to being integrated in the MXNet project?
Or are they going in the other direction?

regards,

Lieven