Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Jonathan Robie <jo...@redhat.com> on 2010/06/21 16:53:04 UTC

README vs. README.txt

External links are getting broken when people change README to
README.txt, or vice versa. I really do want to be able to point to these
files directly from the web site, or include them into pages, so they
are kept consistent with what is in the development tree, so keeping
these names stable is important.

I don't care which convention we use. But I'd like us to pick one name
and use it everywhere, if possible. And when we change the names of
documentation files, including READMEs, thinks can break, so let's make
this change once and stick with it ...

Jonathan

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: README vs. README.txt

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 06/22/2010 01:35 PM, Jonathan Robie wrote:
> On 06/21/2010 11:48 AM, Senaka Fernando wrote:
>> IMHO, I believe that it would be better to have the .txt extension at the
>> end, so that it would help users on an OS like MS Windows.
>
> OK, if nobody objects, I'll change all README files to README.txt.

Make sure you also update any build scripts that may be including the
readmes.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: README vs. README.txt

Posted by Chuck Rolke <cr...@redhat.com>.
Hi Jonathan,

I was logged in to a winxx guest account the other day and it had the "hide known extensions" set. Seeing a README in that state I didn't know if it was "README" or "README.txt". Adding the .txt is a good idea.

-Chuck

Re: README vs. README.txt

Posted by Jonathan Robie <jo...@redhat.com>.

Re: README vs. README.txt

Posted by Senaka Fernando <se...@gmail.com>.
IMHO, I believe that it would be better to have the .txt extension at the
end, so that it would help users on an OS like MS Windows.

Thanks,
Senaka.