Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Chris Lilley <ch...@w3.org> on 2007/07/25 12:09:29 UTC

Incorrect rendering on some non-spacing characters in Batik

Hello batik-dev,

Today I got as bug report on the SVG 1.1 test suite; two reference images were wrong. On investigation it seems that Batik (which rendered them) has a bug with non-spacing (combining) characters.

I attach a minimal test case which demonstrates this. The two lines of Yiddish text should render identically. Opera (9.21) and Firefox (2.0.0.5) render this test correctly. Batik 1.7 beta 1 does not.

For the convenience of those who don't know the Hebrew alphabet, aleph looks like an X with one straight and one curved line; and quamats looks like a little T under the letter.

I have not checked whether this applies to all combining characters, or just some of them; and whether it is specific to RTL text or not.

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG