Posted to dev@tinkerpop.apache.org by Jason Plurad <pl...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/24 19:45:41 UTC

[DISCUSS] Scala 2.11 and Spark 2.0 support

This question
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/gremlin-users/rPguKVm3GVE/f1OdIFvBAwAJ> on
TinkerPop 3.3 on the Gremlin users list ultimately comes back to Scala 2.11
support
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/janusgraph-users/UypKyqnWqzc/eaQUOR2IDAAJ>.
I can understand that some features slated for 3.3 might be far off (
TINKERPOP-1564 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TINKERPOP-1564>), but
I don't think we should hold up on updating core dependencies such as
Spark+Scala.

Azure Cosmos DB (based on TP 3.2.4) recently published
<https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/cosmos-db/spark-connector-graph>
about connecting
it to Spark, and it tells the developer to build TinkerPop master (TP
3.3.0-SNAPSHOT) because Azure HDInsight uses Spark 2.0.

We ran into a similar issue when TInkerPop 3.0 came out with the Hadoop 1
dependency rather than Hadoop 2, and I think a lot of users had already moved
to Hadoop 2
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/gremlin-users/_9UD6STUUOE/iEr2qoxFAQAJ> by
then. Side note, I don't know what the schedule for Hadoop 3 is, but they
already have alpha versions available.

Spark 2.0 came out in July 2016, and it has been integrated on master
since September
2016
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/gremlin-users/j7lDGg5pIo8/QNWaFC3ABQAJ>.
Spark 2 builds with Scala 2.11 by default. If we can't get the next
TinkerPop release until next year, TinkerPop's Spark+Scala dependencies
will be very far out of date.

Would it make sense to cherry pick Spark 2.0 support into the tp32 branch?

Re: [DISCUSS] Scala 2.11 and Spark 2.0 support

Posted by Robert Dale <ro...@gmail.com>.
RERO +1

Robert Dale

Posted by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com>.