Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@rabellino.it> on 2001/12/03 11:16:12 UTC

[vote] XML:DB stuff

Committers,

I'd like to have your opinion about adding XML:DB stuff ad a default
component to the HEAD version of Cocoon. Given that there's been a lot
of talk about this API lately, and given also that Xindice is going to
come up shortly as an Apache project, I start to think that having the
XML:DB components compiled in by default will add visibility to this
newcomer in the Apache XML arena and let people play with it, possibly
contributing code. This would also avoid the risk of having sources out
of sync with the Cocoon development since the sources would be monitored
daily by the automatic build process.

Adding the XML:DB stuff would mean adding the xmldb.jar to the lib
directory: since the archive sums up to only 9K I don't see this as an
issue. Of course one would still need a concrete implementation (such as
dbXML/Xindice, eXist or Ozone) to make it work (as with JDBC) but at
least the components would be there to play with.

Let me know your opinion: here is my +1.

Another issue, given that we would have a pseudo-protocol to work with,
is about removing the XML:DB Generators from the code base: an XML:DB
database can be queried as of now via a generic FileGenerator, so there
is no need for them anymore as separate components. I don't know
actually if there is anyone using those Generators, but if this has to
be done I think that it should be done now.

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino

Re: [vote] XML:DB stuff

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

> Committers,
>
> I'd like to have your opinion about adding XML:DB stuff ad a default
> component to the HEAD version of Cocoon. Given that there's been a lot
> of talk about this API lately, and given also that Xindice is going to
> come up shortly as an Apache project, I start to think that having the
> XML:DB components compiled in by default will add visibility to this
> newcomer in the Apache XML arena and let people play with it, possibly
> contributing code. This would also avoid the risk of having sources out
> of sync with the Cocoon development since the sources would be monitored
> daily by the automatic build process.
>
> Adding the XML:DB stuff would mean adding the xmldb.jar to the lib
> directory: since the archive sums up to only 9K I don't see this as an
> issue. Of course one would still need a concrete implementation (such as
> dbXML/Xindice, eXist or Ozone) to make it work (as with JDBC) but at
> least the components would be there to play with.
>
> Let me know your opinion: here is my +1.

+1

> Another issue, given that we would have a pseudo-protocol to work with,
> is about removing the XML:DB Generators from the code base: an XML:DB
> database can be queried as of now via a generic FileGenerator, so there
> is no need for them anymore as separate components. I don't know
> actually if there is anyone using those Generators, but if this has to
> be done I think that it should be done now.

I'd be +1 on removing the generators as long as the provided
functionality is absolutely the same and nobody else is opposed to this.

REmoving them will at least avoid having two codebases to synch when API
changes will take place.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

RE: [vote] XML:DB stuff

Posted by Gerhard Froehlich <g-...@gmx.de>.
>From: Carsten Ziegeler [mailto:cziegeler@s-und-n.de]
>
>Giacomo Pati wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Gianugo Rabellino wrote:
>>
>> > Committers,
>> >
>> > I'd like to have your opinion about adding XML:DB stuff ad a default
>> > component to the HEAD version of Cocoon. Given that there's been a lot
>> > of talk about this API lately, and given also that Xindice is going to
>> > come up shortly as an Apache project, I start to think that having the
>> > XML:DB components compiled in by default will add visibility to this
>> > newcomer in the Apache XML arena and let people play with it, possibly
>> > contributing code. This would also avoid the risk of having sources out
>> > of sync with the Cocoon development since the sources would be monitored
>> > daily by the automatic build process.
>> >
>> > Adding the XML:DB stuff would mean adding the xmldb.jar to the lib
>> > directory: since the archive sums up to only 9K I don't see this as an
>> > issue. Of course one would still need a concrete implementation (such as
>> > dbXML/Xindice, eXist or Ozone) to make it work (as with JDBC) but at
>> > least the components would be there to play with.
>> >
>> > Let me know your opinion: here is my +1.
>>
>> +1
>>
>+1
+1

>> > Another issue, given that we would have a pseudo-protocol to work with,
>> > is about removing the XML:DB Generators from the code base: an XML:DB
>> > database can be queried as of now via a generic FileGenerator, so there
>> > is no need for them anymore as separate components. I don't know
>> > actually if there is anyone using those Generators, but if this has to
>> > be done I think that it should be done now.
>>
>> +1 as well given the condition that nobody use it actually.
>>
>+1
+1

  Gerhard

RE: [vote] XML:DB stuff

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Giacomo Pati wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Gianugo Rabellino wrote:
>
> > Committers,
> >
> > I'd like to have your opinion about adding XML:DB stuff ad a default
> > component to the HEAD version of Cocoon. Given that there's been a lot
> > of talk about this API lately, and given also that Xindice is going to
> > come up shortly as an Apache project, I start to think that having the
> > XML:DB components compiled in by default will add visibility to this
> > newcomer in the Apache XML arena and let people play with it, possibly
> > contributing code. This would also avoid the risk of having sources out
> > of sync with the Cocoon development since the sources would be monitored
> > daily by the automatic build process.
> >
> > Adding the XML:DB stuff would mean adding the xmldb.jar to the lib
> > directory: since the archive sums up to only 9K I don't see this as an
> > issue. Of course one would still need a concrete implementation (such as
> > dbXML/Xindice, eXist or Ozone) to make it work (as with JDBC) but at
> > least the components would be there to play with.
> >
> > Let me know your opinion: here is my +1.
>
> +1

+1

> > Another issue, given that we would have a pseudo-protocol to work with,
> > is about removing the XML:DB Generators from the code base: an XML:DB
> > database can be queried as of now via a generic FileGenerator, so there
> > is no need for them anymore as separate components. I don't know
> > actually if there is anyone using those Generators, but if this has to
> > be done I think that it should be done now.
>
> +1 as well given the condition that nobody use it actually.

+1

Carsten

RE: [vote] XML:DB stuff

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
[...Got back from vacation...]

+1 for that!
...Next thing I would like to see is caching support and update
mechanism...

> > Another issue, given that we would have a pseudo-protocol to work
with,
> > is about removing the XML:DB Generators from the code base: an
XML:DB
> > database can be queried as of now via a generic FileGenerator, so
there
> > is no need for them anymore as separate components. I don't know
> > actually if there is anyone using those Generators, but if this has
> > be done I think that it should be done now.
>
> +1 as well given the condition that nobody use it actually.

+0

Vadim

Re: [vote] XML:DB stuff

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.