Posted to dev@iotdb.apache.org by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com> on 2019/10/05 11:02:47 UTC

[VOTE] Apache IoTDB 0.8.1 (incubating) RC2 release

Hi all,

Now I open a new ticket for Apache IoTDB (incubating) 0.8.1 RC2, which fixs
some issues comparing with RC1. You can find the details at the end of this
email.

Apache IoTDB (incubating) 0.8.1 is a bug-fix version from 0.8.0. You can
get its mainly changes from [5].

Apache IoTDB (Incubating) 0.8.1 has been staged under [2] and it’s time to
vote
on accepting it for release.  All Maven artifacts are available under [1].
If approved we will seek final release approval from the IPMC.
Voting will be open for 72hr.

A minimum of 3 binding +1 votes and more binding +1 than binding -1
are required to pass.

Release tag: release/0.8.1
Hash for the release tag: 37b213b6ab6fc8ca13ab60f21dff099042a0e295

Per [3] "Before voting +1 PMC/PPMC members are required to download
the signed source code package, compile it as provided, and test
the resulting executable on their own platform, along with also
verifying that the package meets the requirements of the ASF policy
on releases."

You can achieve the above by following [4].

[ ]  +1 accept (indicate what you validated - e.g. performed the non-RM
items in [4])
[ ]  -1 reject (explanation required)

Difference with RC1:

- PGP signing: there is no established trust chain to any other Apache ...
- Running IoTDB Server according to information in README.md: MINOR I am
using OpenJDK 13 and I get an error message that IoTDB only runs on Java 8
and 11 ... this sort of contradicts the README which states X >= 1.8
- I would suggest to add an Apache Header to the ".checkstyle" XML file
- It seems the Hadoop module still contains SNAPSHOT versions: MINOR
- Able to run the server and client: MINOR Same finding as with the source
distribution ... not able to run with OpenJDK 13
- Major bug: The version printed in client is still 0.8.0
- NOTICE-binary HIVE shows 2008-2018 while NOTICE HIVE shows 2008-2019.
(Now they are consistent with the notice file at github.com/apache/hive,
which says 2008-2018)

[1] https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheiotdb-1005
[2] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/iotdb/0.8.1/rc2
[3] https://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#approving-a-release
[4]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IOTDB/Validating+a+staged+Release
[5]
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/iotdb/0.8.1/rc2/RELEASE_NOTES.md

Best,
-----------------------------------
Xiangdong Huang
School of Software, Tsinghua University

 黄向东
清华大学 软件学院

Re: [VOTE] Apache IoTDB 0.8.1 (incubating) RC2 release

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

I also note that the file [1] is missing a header, where did this come from? Depending on where it originally come from that might have an impact on LICENCE.

Looking inside the jar it seems to imply takari.io but that file does have an header and has done for some time and the code has differences [2].

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://github.com/apache/incubator-iotdb/blob/master/.mvn/wrapper/MavenWrapperDownloader.java
2. https://github.com/takari/maven-wrapper/blob/master/.mvn/wrapper/MavenWrapperDownloader.java

Re: [VOTE] Apache IoTDB 0.8.1 (incubating) RC2 release

Posted by Jialin Qiao <qj...@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn>.
Hi,

I submitted a PR [1] for it.

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-iotdb/pull/447

Jialin Qiao
School of Software, Tsinghua University

乔嘉林
清华大学 软件学院

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
I think it's could save us some time if we check the snapshot src
artifact first.
You can always create a source distribution without using maven release command.

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

Posted by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Actually you only need to do this:

1. mvn release:prepare -DautoVersionSubmodules=true
2. mvn release:perform

(In the perform the release plugin is configured in the apache parent to automatically select the "apache-release" profile)
As soon as releaae:perform is executed the release is done and therefore it is cleaned up ... a RC2 is a completely new release.

I guess you added the "-P apache-release" in the prepare step to get the release artifacts in the target directory.
However you should stage the artifacts in "target/checkout/target" instead.

You don't need to manually change the version back as the release:prepare asks you for the two versions.
Just re-enter the version and the release version and you should be ready to go.

Chris

Am 13.10.19, 02:18 schrieb "Xiangdong Huang" <sa...@gmail.com>:

    Hi,

    > I am not quite sure, but I guess when preparing the release the steps
    haven't been executed as written in the RM guide.

    When release RC1, I ran:
    1. mvn release:prepare -P apache-release  -DautoVersionSubmodules=true
    2. mvn release:perform -DreleaseProfiles=apache-release

    Because RC1 has some other issues, I had to prepare RC2.
    Then I found that I can not run `mvn release:rollback` (because all
    pom.xml.releaseBackup had been cleaned automatically).
    So I checked rel/0.8's latest codes from the repo (and the version was
    changed to 0.8.2-SNAPSHOT by the `mvn release:perform` command).
    I had to change the version number back to 0.8.1-SNAPSHOT and then run `mvn
    release:prepare` and `mvn release:perform` once again.

    That is all what I did using maven... Is there something incorrect?

    One more thing, I checked the RC1 source-release.zip file[1], the
    maven-wrapper.jar also exists...

    [1]
    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/iotdb/0.8.1/rc1/apache-iotdb-0.8.1-incubating-source-release.zip

    Best,
    -----------------------------------

    Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> 于2019年10月12日周六 下午7:30写道:

Posted by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.

Posted by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

> If you had used the the work in progress disclaimer that would of been
allowed.

I cannot understand it clearly...

> How would that fix it? The release needs to be be made on on the RM
machine not from guthub and GitHub doesn’t currently have that jar. [1]

Justin is right, I think it is my fault that I didn't find that there is a
jar file in the .mvn folder ...

By the way, `mvn clean` command can not clear the jars from the folder, so
guys please pay attention to that for the future releases...

It is also good to claim the jar in the .gitignore file to avoid someone
upload it to the repo.

Last, I can make a RC3 release version in the morning at 10.14...

Best,
-----------------------------------

Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com> 于2019年10月12日周六 上午11:56写道:

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lei Rui <ne...@163.com>.
Hi, my vote is +1 (binding) PPMC vote.

I followed the steps [1] and checked:

1. download staged artifacts. Check their signature and hashes.

    ✔ [RM] verify the reported signature is for an "apache.org" address ("gpg: Good signature from ...")
    ✔ [RM] verify the reported hashes
2. extract src bundle
    ✔ cd downloaded-iotdb-0.8.1rc1
    ✔ unzip 0.8.1/rc1/apache-iotdb-0.8.1-incubating-source-release.zip
    ✔ verify the existence of LICENSE, NOTICE, README, RELEASE_NOTES files in the extracted source bundle
    ✔ [RM] verify the staged source README, RELEASE_NOTE files correspond to those in the extracted source bundle

3. staged src bundle items: content, can compile & test
    ✔ a. cd apache-iotdb-0.8.1-incubating
    ✔ b. check the contents of LICENSE, NOTICE, README, RELEASE_NOTES
    ✔ c. UNPACK the binary artefact and check the contents of LICENSE-binary and NOTICE-binary
    ✔ d. build from directions in README with an empty maven local repo
    ✔ e. [RM] review target/rat.txt (though the build should fail if RAT constraints aren't met)
    ❗ f. Search for SNAPSHOT references
    I found ./hadoop/pom.xml reference 0.8.1-SNAPSHOT.

    ✔ g. ./mvnw install
    ✔ h. ./mvnw site:site

Sincerely,
Lei Rui

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IOTDB/Validating+a+staged+Release

Posted by suyue <su...@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn>.

Hi,

+1 (binding)

I checked:

downloaded pre-release/iotdb-0.8.1 rc2:
NOTICE, LICENSE and DISCLAIMER
start iotdb server
start client
Execute:
SET STORAGE GROUP TO root.ln.wf01.wt01;
CREATE TIMESERIES root.ln.wf01.wt01.status WITH DATATYPE=BOOLEAN, ENCODING=PLAIN
CREATE TIMESERIES root.ln.wf01.wt01.temperature WITH DATATYPE=FLOAT, ENCODING=PLAIN
CREATE TIMESERIES root.ln.wf01.wt01.hardware WITH DATATYPE=INT32, ENCODING=PLAIN
INSERT INTO root.ln.wf01.wt01(timestamp,temperature,status, hardware)  values(1, 1.1, false, 11)
INSERT INTO root.ln.wf01.wt01(timestamp,temperature,status, hardware) values(2, 2.2, true, 22)
INSERT INTO root.ln.wf01.wt01(timestamp,temperature,status, hardware) values(3, 3.3, false, 33 )
INSERT INTO root.ln.wf01.wt01(timestamp,temperature,status, hardware)  values(4, 4.4, false, 44)
INSERT INTO root.ln.wf01.wt01(timestamp,temperature,status, hardware) values(5, 5.5, false, 55)
INSERT INTO root.ln.wf01.wt01(timestamp,temperature,status, hardware)  values(6, 1.1, false, 11)
INSERT INTO root.ln.wf01.wt01(timestamp,temperature,status, hardware) values(7, 2.2, true, 22)
INSERT INTO root.ln.wf01.wt01(timestamp,temperature,status, hardware) values(8, 3.3, false, 33 )
INSERT INTO root.ln.wf01.wt01(timestamp,temperature,status, hardware)  values(9, 4.4, false, 44)
INSERT INTO root.ln.wf01.wt01(timestamp,temperature,status, hardware) values(10, 5.5, false, 55)
Select * from root;

Source release:
mvn clean test install

Re: Failed to send mails to dev@iotdb.apache.org

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
Ahh, yeah 163.com as a freemail provider comes up in anti-spam a bit for
me.  Now I know they are Netease.

Posted by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by 李天安 <lt...@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn>.
Hi ZeSong,
	Thanks for your suggestion.
	By the way, this is also a test email sent by the Mail Client of MacOs.

Best Regards,
—————————————————
Tianan Li

Posted by 孙泽嵩 <sz...@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn>.
Hi Tianan,

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.

Posted by 毛东方 <ma...@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn>.
Hi,

I'd like to vote +1.

Things I've done:
1. Download, Compile and build release version with command "mvn clean package";
2. Start server and client by start-server.sh and start-client.sh;
3. Execute following sqls:
	1) set storage group to root.t1;
	2) create timeseries root.t1.d1.s1 with datatype=int32;
	3) create timeseries root.t1.d1.s2 with datatype=int32;
	4) create timeseries root.t1.d2.s1 with datatype=int32;
	5) insert into root.t1.d1(timestamp, s1) values(1,100);
	6) insert into root.t1.d1(timestamp, s2) values(1,101);
	7) insert into root.t1.d2(timestamp, s1) values(2,103);
	8) show timeseries;
	9) show timeseries root.t1.*;
	10) select * from root.t1;

Best,
——————————————————
毛东方
maodf17@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn

Re: Re: [VOTE] Apache IoTDB 0.8.1 (incubating) RC2 release

Posted by 李天安 <lt...@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn>.
Hi,
+1 (binding)

I have checked following items:

1. Compile and build the source release code with command: mvn clean package -Dmaven.test.skip=true. (Correct)
2. Run server and client script:  sh start-server.sh, start-client.sh -h 127.0.0.1 -p 6667 -u root -pw root (Correct)
3. REBOOT
4. Execuet some basic operations: (Correct)
1) SET STORAGE GROUP TO root.vehicle
2) CREATE TIMESERIES root.vehicle.d0.s0 WITH DATATYPE=INT32, ENCODING=RLE
3) insert into root.vehicle.d0(timestamp,s0) values(10,100)
4) insert into root.vehicle.d0(timestamp,s0) values(1,101)
5) select * from root.vehicle
6) select * from root.vehicle where time > 5
7) show timeseries
8) show timeseries root.*
9) delete from root.vehicle.d0.s0 where time < 9
10) select * from root.vehicle

Best Regards,
—————————————————
Tianan Li

Re: Re: Re: [VOTE] Apache IoTDB 0.8.1 (incubating) RC2 release

Posted by 李天安 <lt...@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn>.
Hi,

Posted by 刘睿 <li...@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn>.
Hi,

+1 (binding)

Checked items:

Source release:

Posted by Tian Jiang <jt...@163.com>.
Hi,

+1 (binding)

Checked items:

Binary release:

Posted by Jialin Qiao <qj...@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn>.
Hi,

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
I vote +1 binding.  See my email on the discussion for more details.