Posted to dev@tajo.apache.org by Hyunsik Choi <hy...@apache.org> on 2015/03/16 12:13:57 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Beyond 0.10.0 release

Hi folks,

In order to share milestones with you guys and concentrate our effort
on the next release, we need to discuss the next roadmap.
Particularly, I'd like to share our direction with new contributors
due to the growing number of contributors.

As far as I know, the following major issues seem to be resolved in time.

* Nested complex type (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAJO-721)
* in subquery (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAJO-680)
* Resource allocation should be fine grained (TAJO-1397)
* ALTER TABLE ADD/DROP PARTITION statement (TAJO-744)
* Python UDF (TAJO-1344)

The above issues probably can be included in 0.11 release. If there
are missed issues, please let me know them.

Besides, the following feature issues may be on our roadmap:

* Multi-tenancy query scheduler (TAJO-540)
* More SQL features (scalar subquery, ...)
  * Decimal type support
  * Scalar subquery
* OLAP features (rollup, drill down, cube, ..)
* More rewrite rules (lots of issues like Unnesting of Nested Subqueries, ...)
* Make storage handler more pluggable
* Better failure handling of tasks and nodes (TAJO-1214)
* CREATE FUNCTION statement support
* CREATE TYPE statement support
* ....

Most of them are not assigned as far as I know. In addition, there are
many performance issues. I'll describe them later.

Anyway, I would be pleasure if we task about what issues you are
considering for 0.11 release or after that. I'm looking forward to
hearing you guys' feedback.

Best regards,
Hyunsik

Re: [DISCUSSION] Beyond 0.10.0 release

Posted by Hyunsik Choi <hy...@apache.org>.
Hi Dongjun,

Thank you for sharing the contents.

But, we didn't discuss any dates of future releases. We just hope that
we 0.11.0 release mid of this year. Besides, we have only 0.11 roadmap
and don't have the detailed plans of future releases. How can we
determine the release dates without roadmap?

In general, there may be two release approaches: date-based release or
feature-based release. Many open source projects including Tajo
usually follow feature-based release. In open source projects,
date-based release is very risky and is not realistic.

Open source projects are basically powered by volunteer works. Even if
many salaried contributors are participating in this project, they are
not controlled by Tajo community. In most cases, they firstly work for
what they need or they are interested in. So, we cannot force them to
firstly do specified issues in roadmap. Therefore, it is not easy to
achieve specific issues on the roadmap on specified date.

I think that the roadmap can be just a direction and some kinds of
recommendation for contributors.

Best regards,
Hyunsik

Posted by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@apache.org>.
Hmm. I agree with Hyunsik and Jihoon and no objections for that.

Hyunsik and you didn't say anydate like that. That's true. :-)

Warmly,
Dongjoon.

Posted by Jihoon Son <ji...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@apache.org>.

Posted by Hyunsik Choi <hy...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@apache.org>.

Posted by Hyunsik Choi <hy...@apache.org>.
Hi guys,

Posted by Hyunsik Choi <hy...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@apache.org>.
Absolutely!

Posted by Hyunsik Choi <hy...@apache.org>.
It sounds good to me.

Posted by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jinho Kim <jh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Hyunsik Choi <hy...@apache.org>.
Hi Jihoon,

Thank you for your suggestion. Indexing feature is very impressive to me.
I agree with your suggestion.

BTW, in my view, it is still an experimental feature due to the
following reasons:
* only CSV file format works with this index.
* Index size still is too large.
* Incremental update is not supported.

I also think that they will be resolved later.

But, like codegen feature we need to tag 'experimental' to the index feature
in documentation and others because they are still challenges.

Best regards,
Hyunsik

Posted by Hyunsik Choi <hy...@apache.org>.
- Is there a candidate release date for 0.11.0?
  (As a user, I love the way if Ububtu OS.)

The release date depends on our progress. We usually do not decide
release date. When scheduled issues are completed, we usually discuss
release. Of course, we can release minor release for bug fixes between
major releases.

- Cloud you give us a guideline to distinguish 0.11.0 and 0.12.0 feature?
  (Focus? or Importance?)

You can expect what features will be included in 0.11 from this
discussion. I'm not sure the detailed features of 0.12 release. I
hazard a guess that 0.12 will have the followings:
 * full-fledged multi-tenancy scheduler
 * full support of nested complex data types: array, union, or ...
 * more mature support of operations and expressions for nested
complex data types: flatten, ...
 * generic storages, more plugins of it, and query optimization support

Actually, they are more mature versions of our current working issues
that I took. There may be additional issues on which other
contributors are working.

Best regards,
Hyunsik

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 3:02 PM, Dongjoon Hyun <do...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you very much for your confirmation.
>
> I have three more questions.
>
> - Is there a candidate release date for 0.11.0?
>   (As a user, I love the way if Ububtu OS.)
> - Cloud you give us a guideline to distinguish 0.11.0 and 0.12.0 feature?
>   (Focus? or Importance?)
>
> Warmly,
> Dongjoon.
>

> On Mar 17, 2015, at 6:48 AM, Hyunsik Choi <hy...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Dongjoon,
>
> Of course, we will update the roadmap wiki after our discussion.
>
> Thank you for suggesting features. All features you mentioned are on
> our roadmap.
> If someone started these issues and can finish in time,  they can be
> included in 0.11 release.
>
> Some issues look in progress. I checked the issues you mentioned, and
> I leave some comments here.
> * Keuntae just started to TAJO-921.
> * TPC-DS unit tests look useful. We can add them to our unit tests in
> order to verify the correctness of those kinds of queries. BTW, there
> is no jira for it, and we need to create it.
> * WITH clause : Any progress is invisible. we need to create it.
> Someone should start it not lately.
>
> Yarn support is also on our roadmap. Please refer to TAJO-773.
> Regarding authentication and security, we need to investigate it and
> its around stuff more.
> Sentry and Ranger may be some candidates. Besides, we can choose other choice.
>
> Best regards,
> Hyunsik
>
>> On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 5:23 AM, Dongjoon Hyun <do...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi, Hyunsik.
>>
>> As a user and a member of community, thank you for all your efforts to show
>> us a predictable Tajo Vision. At the end of this discussion, could you
>> update Tajo Roadmap Wiki as a result? That will lead us in a more
>> synergetic way. (
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TAJO/Tajo+Roadmap )
>>
>> To all,
>> Is it possible to include the following features to be completed at this
>> time.
>> 1. WITH clause support (for TPC-DS)
>>    I expect the subquery feature will enable this easier than now.
>> 2. STDDEV_POP, STDDEV_SAMP support (for TPC-DS)
>>    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAJO-921
>> 3. Unit Tests with TPC-DS
>>    For more stable Tajo, I think Tajo need more testcases.
>>
>> By the way, according to the Tajo Roadmap wiki, I think @hyunsik mentioned
>> almost items there except the followings.
>> - YARN Support
>> - Security (Basic User Authentication) - Apache Sentry??
>>
>> Does Tajo have a plan for these two items?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Dongjoon.
>>
>>> On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 8:41 PM, Jihoon Son <ji...@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I mean, it will be possible to include the index feature to 0.11 release.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Jihoon

Posted by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hyunsik Choi <hy...@apache.org>.
Hi Dongjoon,

Posted by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@apache.org>.
Hi, Hyunsik.

Posted by Jihoon Son <ji...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jihoon Son <ji...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jaehwa Jung <bl...@apache.org>.
Hi Hyunsik

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Hyunsik,

I will look through these features and hope can do something in future.

IMO, if Tajo supports multi-tenants and security, then we are truely better
than Impala according to my performance testing.