Posted to dev@lucy.apache.org by Nick Wellnhofer <we...@aevum.de> on 2016/03/24 12:48:59 UTC

[lucy-dev] [VOTE] Apache Lucy 0.5.0 RC 3

Hello,

Release candidate 3 for Apache Lucy version 0.5.0 can be
found at:

     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucy/apache-lucy-0.5.0-rc3/

See the CHANGES file at the top level of the archive for information
about the content of this release. I found some problems with RC 2 before
sending the vote mail which are fixed in RC 3.

This candidate was assembled according to the process documented at:

     http://wiki.apache.org/lucy/ReleaseGuide

It was cut using "git archive" from the tag at:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=lucy.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/apache-lucy-0.5.0-rc3

Please vote on releasing this candidate as Apache Lucy version
0.5.0.  The vote will be held open for at least the next 72
hours.

All interested parties are welcome to inspect the release candidate
and express approval or disapproval.  Votes from members of the Lucy
PMC are binding; the vote passes if there are at least three binding
+1 votes and more +1 votes than -1 votes.

For suggestions as to how to evaluate Apache Lucy release candidates,
and for information on ASF voting procedures, see:

     http://wiki.apache.org/lucy/ReleaseVerification
     http://wiki.apache.org/lucy/ReleasePrep

I tested under Ubuntu 15.10, x86 (32-bit):

- Go bindings with stock Go 1.5.1
- Perl bindings with stock Perl 5.20.2
- C bindings with stock GCC 5.2.1

[ ] +1 Release RC 3 as Apache Lucy 0.5.0.
[ ] +0
[ ] -1 Do not release RC 3 as Apache Lucy 0.5.0 because...

Here's my +1.

Thanks!

[lucy-dev] [VOTE][RESULT] Apache Lucy 0.5.0 RC 3

Posted by Nick Wellnhofer <we...@aevum.de>.
On 24/03/2016 12:48, Nick Wellnhofer wrote:
> [ ] +1 Release RC 3 as Apache Lucy 0.5.0.
> [ ] +0
> [ ] -1 Do not release RC 3 as Apache Lucy 0.5.0 because...

The vote passes with +1 votes from the following PMC members:

- Nick Wellnhofer
- Marvin Humphrey
- Peter Karman

Nick

Re: [lucy-dev] [VOTE] Apache Lucy 0.5.0 RC 3

Posted by Peter Karman <pe...@peknet.com>.
Nick Wellnhofer wrote on 3/24/16, 6:48 AM:

> [ ] +1 Release RC 3 as Apache Lucy 0.5.0.

+1

Tested signatures and Perl bindings on OS X 10.9.5 with Perl 5.20.0, using this
script:
https://github.com/pkarman/my-toolbox/blob/master/test-lucy-rc.pl

Re: [lucy-dev] [VOTE] Apache Lucy 0.5.0 RC 3

Posted by Nick Wellnhofer <we...@aevum.de>.
On 25/03/2016 04:57, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> Nearly all compiler warnings are gone.  A lengthy list of unused var warnings
> (all originating at the same spot in CFC) under the Perl bindings persist, but
> that should not block the release.

The warnings in the generated code should be fixed in Clownfish RC 3.

> The `test_valgrind` build target reveals a few invalid reads.  Most of them
> are limited to the test suite and are not critical, though they could
> potentially cause the test suite to fail unexpectedly.  There is one
> interesting problem, but it is actually a Clownfish bug -- if it blocks a
> release, it should block Clownfish.  I'll comment more on the Clownfish VOTE
> thread.

I found another invalid read that revealed a bug in Lucy:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=lucy.git;a=commitdiff;h=2748bb85e41f8431f77667eb70aeef83b0712f55

But this looks harmless to me.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 4:48 AM, Nick Wellnhofer <we...@aevum.de> wrote:

> [ ] +1 Release RC 3 as Apache Lucy 0.5.0.
> [ ] +0
> [ ] -1 Do not release RC 3 as Apache Lucy 0.5.0 because...

+1

Sums and sigs OK.

Tests pass on OS X and Amazon Linux with test_all.sh.  Because I was using a
low-memory EC2 instance, I ran out of RAM and had to remove the `-j` from some
"make -j" commands -- but then everything passed.

I confirmed that the release tarball matches the RC git tag.

I inspected the diff between the RC1 and RC3 git tags and everything looks
good.  The copyright date has been updated.

Nearly all compiler warnings are gone.  A lengthy list of unused var warnings
(all originating at the same spot in CFC) under the Perl bindings persist, but
that should not block the release.

The `test_valgrind` build target reveals a few invalid reads.  Most of them
are limited to the test suite and are not critical, though they could
potentially cause the test suite to fail unexpectedly.  There is one
interesting problem, but it is actually a Clownfish bug -- if it blocks a
release, it should block Clownfish.  I'll comment more on the Clownfish VOTE
thread.

Thank you for serving as RM, Nick!

Marvin Humphrey