Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@epimorphics.com> on 2011/01/06 15:11:35 UTC

SVN planning

Thinking ahead to the initial code import.

1/ crypto audit:

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#crypto-audit
http://www.apache.org/dev/crypto.html

Although it's after import in the guide, the text says do before
committing anything.

Someone to volunteer for this owning this?

2/ Import:

The obvious thing for import to do is simply import exactly what's in SF
(CVS and SVN modules).  However, and I'm certainly guilt of this, this
include development working files, not just the codebase itself.  I
think we should import everything then cleanup, which can happen at
different paces in different modules.

Jena uses a <root>/module/trunk style of SVN layout.  Any reasons not to
continue with that layout?  It makes [1] work on a module basis.

3/ Then clean up.

[2] suggests putting the initial code dump in an import area, the move
the code, with clean-up to the right place.  I can't find an example of
this but then the /import directory has probably been svn-removed.

	Andy

[1]
http://lsimons.wordpress.com/2010/02/19/using-long-lived-stable-branches/
[2] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#initial-clean-up

Re: SVN planning

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 06/01/2011 18:19, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>> Are we importing the full history of jena into SVN?
>
> Yes, I hope so. if the tools can do it, then definitely, otherwise we
> might need to grab a tarball with history. We really should grab the
> audit trail.

Yes, we want the full history.

Ross

Re: SVN planning

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@epimorphics.com>.

On 06/01/11 17:20, Damian Steer wrote:
> On 06/01/11 14:11, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>> Thinking ahead to the initial code import.
>>
>> 1/ crypto audit:
>>
>> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#crypto-audit
>> http://www.apache.org/dev/crypto.html
>>
>> Although it's after import in the guide, the text says do before
>> committing anything.
>>
>> Someone to volunteer for this owning this?
>
> I'm still trying to digest the process...
>
>> 2/ Import:
>>
>> The obvious thing for import to do is simply import exactly what's in SF
>> (CVS and SVN modules). However, and I'm certainly guilt of this, this
>> include development working files, not just the codebase itself. I think
>> we should import everything then cleanup, which can happen at different
>> paces in different modules.
>
> Are we importing the full history of jena into SVN?

Yes, I hope so.  if the tools can do it, then definitely, otherwise we
might need to grab a tarball with history.  We really should grab the
audit trail.

>> Jena uses a <root>/module/trunk style of SVN layout. Any reasons not to
>> continue with that layout? It makes [1] work on a module basis.
>
> That's the standard layout (you have /module/tags and /module/branches
> too?), which most tools seem to expect.

Yes. /module/{tags,branches,trunk}

Looking at other incubator projects, I see that some have gone for the
/trunk/module style (a majority? by a small sample I looked at) and
that's how the Jena repo was initialized (not that it isn't changeable).
  Was that's just a case of how it got set, or is that an advantage?

I've only worked with the <root>/module/trunk style so I don't really
know what the pros and cons are.

	Andy

Re: SVN planning

Posted by Damian Steer <d....@bristol.ac.uk>.