Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> on 2019/10/20 12:26:15 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 11.2 [vote candidate 1]

Dear all,

This is our first voting candidate for the 11.2 release of Apache
NetBeans. Note that this is our first release vote where you are
required to check both sources and convenience binaries before voting!
See requirements below.

Apache NetBeans 11.2 constitutes all clusters in the Apache NetBeans
Git repo, which together provide the NetBeans Platform (i.e., the
underlying application framework), as well as all the modules that
provide the Java SE, Java EE, PHP, JavaScript and Groovy features of
Apache NetBeans.

Build artefacts are available here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans/11.2-vc1/
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans-platform/11.2-vc1/

They were built by the Jenkins pipeline at:
https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/NetBeans/job/netbeans-TLP/job/netbeans/job/release112/29/

We are primarily voting on:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans/11.2-vc1/netbeans-11.2-vc1-source.zip

SHA512:
4586ec37778d7b7044e4a456408fce1686ea70db9847d5a24e2974728774d57963c1d0372c54b91008835b16b0d5c7f99b8b5714387b40116c8f28a331392a39
 ./netbeans-11.2-vc1-source.zip

KEYS file:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/netbeans/KEYS

Apache NetBeans Git Repo tag: 11.2-vc1 :
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/tree/11.2-vc1

Release specific wiki page:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Apache+NetBeans+11.2

Before voting +1 you are required to download the signed source code
package, compile it as provided, and test the resulting executable on
your own platform, along with also verifying that the package meets
the requirements of the ASF policy on releases - see
http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#management

In particular, you should (at least) follow these steps.

1. Download the artefact to be voted on and unzip it.
2. Check that the artefact does not contain any jar files, except for:
    - platform/autoupdate.services/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/api/autoupdate/data/empty.jar
    - enterprise/glassfish.common/test/unit/data/nottaDir-4_1_2.jar
    - enterprise/glassfish.common/test/unit/data/subdir/nottaDir-5.0.jar
    - enterprise/payara.common/test/unit/data/nottaDir-4_1_2.jar
    - enterprise/payara.common/test/unit/data/subdir/nottaDir-5.0.jar
    which are only jars by their name
3. Verify the cryptographic signatures, the NOTICE and LICENSE file
4. Build it using the README provided by the artefact.
5. Look in nbbuild/netbeans for the NetBeans installation created by
the build process and try running it.

In addition to checking the sources, you should check the associated
convenience binary zips and nbms at the artefact links above. As well
as checking any artefact functions correctly, you should check that it
has been correctly signed by a PMC member, and that the source being
voted on is sufficient to build the relevant binary. Separate votes
will be held on other convenience binaries, including Maven artefacts
and for each installer. Those will be dependent on this vote passing.

This vote is going to be open at least 72 hours, vote with +1, 0, and
-1 as usual.  Please mark your vote with (binding) if you're an Apache
NetBeans PMC member to help with voting admin.  NetBeans 11.2 will be
released if and when this vote passes.

Thank you for all the hard work!

Best wishes,

Neil
Volunteer Release Manager for Apache NetBeans 11.2

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 11.2 [vote candidate 1]

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 at 23:11, Stephen G. Parry <sg...@mainscreen.com> wrote:
> If Payara is now fully integrated
> with NB 11.1+ and it turns out that is where the problems lie, does that
> mean we have to wait for 11.3 before we can get any fixes to these released?

Maybe / maybe not.  Please don't hijack the vote thread for this.
Please kick off a new thread to discuss.

Thanks,

Neil

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 11.2 [vote candidate 1]

Posted by "Stephen G. Parry" <sg...@mainscreen.com>.
Sorry for butting in where I probably don't belong on this, but I am
concerned about the state of 11.2 on the Java EE front - one of the
headlines for 11.1 was the integrated Payara support, but I have just
posted four separate but related bugs in the Java EE / Payara support
relating to Maven starter projects. The Enterprise Application project
for example, simply does not function. If Payara is now fully integrated

Posted by Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Regards
Eric

> [...]

> convenience binary zips and nbms at the artefact links above. As well
> as checking any artefact functions correctly, you should check that it
> has been correctly signed by a PMC member, and that the source being
> voted on is sufficient to build the relevant binary. Separate votes
> will be held on other convenience binaries, including Maven artefacts
> and for each installer. Those will be dependent on this vote passing.
>

> This vote is going to be open at least 72 hours, vote with +1, 0, and
> -1 as usual.  Please mark your vote with (binding) if you're an Apache
> NetBeans PMC member to help with voting admin.  NetBeans 11.2 will be
> released if and when this vote passes.
>

> Thank you for all the hard work!
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Neil
> Volunteer Release Manager for Apache NetBeans 11.2

Ludovic

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 11.2 [vote candidate 1]

Posted by Ludovic HOCHET <lh...@gmail.com>.
+1
> [...]

> convenience binary zips and nbms at the artefact links above. As well
> as checking any artefact functions correctly, you should check that it
> has been correctly signed by a PMC member, and that the source being
> voted on is sufficient to build the relevant binary. Separate votes
> will be held on other convenience binaries, including Maven artefacts
> and for each installer. Those will be dependent on this vote passing.
>

> This vote is going to be open at least 72 hours, vote with +1, 0, and
> -1 as usual.  Please mark your vote with (binding) if you're an Apache
> NetBeans PMC member to help with voting admin.  NetBeans 11.2 will be
> released if and when this vote passes.
>

> Thank you for all the hard work!
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Neil
> Volunteer Release Manager for Apache NetBeans 11.2

"Les formes qui differencient les etres importent peu
 si leur pensees s'unissent pour batir un univers..."
 Yoko Tsuno (in 'Les titans' by Roger Leloup)
 [The shapes that differenciate beings are not important
 if their thoughts unite to build a universe]

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 11.2 [vote candidate 1]

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Revisited the NOTICE file: Ok

We do actually have a syntax highlight on Kotlin files! Great!

More details on:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/290281eefea89c4fd09ddbe40264ecf7b87917b2ac0f59965a03620d@%3Cdev.netbeans.apache.org%3E

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

I focused on the platform. It starts and I could install Gradle support
from provided NBMs into it and get the system running.
-jt

ne 20. 10. 2019 v 14:26 odesílatel Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>

Posted by Alessandro <al...@gmail.com>.
+1

Checked SHA512 of binary
Unzipped and launched binary with Oracle JDK8 on Linux
Activated all features except PHP (this triggered installation of nbjavac)
Opened and compiled some maven projects
Added maven 3.6.2 as external maven installation
Opened and compiled other maven projects
Added OpenJDK 11 as Java Platform
Opened and compiled two java modular projects

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Built from source with the following environment:

openjdk version "1.8.0_192"

OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_192-amazon-corretto-preview-b12)

Ran with 'ant tryme' and with 'nbbuild/netbeans/bin/netbeans'.

Looked at LICENSE and NOTICE and README -- all look good, no problems.

Tried to find JARs other than those listed and failed.

Also downloaded and ran convenience binary -- verified signatures and
sha512 of source and binary.

Created one of the JavaFX Gluon samples, set JDK 13, ran after changing
'Run project' action to 'clean javafx:run'.

Gj

Posted by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding) from me.

And wrapping up the vote.

Thanks all.  Result thread imminent.

Posted by Kenneth Fogel <kf...@dawsoncollege.qc.ca>.
+1

As a Windows user I can say that I see a noticeable improvement in performance over 11.1. I do have Windows Defender turned off for my .m2 folder, my NB folder, and my project folder. One change I made compared to NB 11.1 was to place the userdir and cachedir into a folder adjacent to NB and also tuned off Defender for them. Nice to see more up to date pom files.

Ken

- Verified the cryptographic signatures, the NOTICE and LICENSE file
- BUILD SUCCESSFUL
- Opened NetBeans, activated Java EE, opened Java EE project without issues using new userdir

Josh Juneau
juneau001@gmail.com
http://jj-blogger.blogspot.com
https://www.apress.com/us/search?query=Juneau
<https://www.apress.com/index.php/author/author/view/id/1866>

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 11.2 [vote candidate 1]

Posted by Josh Juneau <ju...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by John Mc <mc...@gmail.com>.
+1(binding)