Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "Andreas J. Koenig" <an...@anima.de> on 2002/11/25 20:38:20 UTC

makepatch/applypatch beyond diff/patch

Ben told me that many in the SVN community are looking for a file
format that goes beyond the abilities of diff and patch, namely to
describe differences of whole directory trees.

I recommended him:

> ... the makepatch and applypatch programs by Johan Vromans. They are
> used widely in the perl community and have a file format based on
> the diff format that can describe changes to directory trees. You
> can get them from CPAN/authors/id/J/JV/makepatch-2.00_09.tar.gz.

I'm not an expert in the makepatch/applypatch innards, but as the
documentation states:

    Note that 'applypatch' only requires the 'patch' program. It does
    not rely on a shell or shell tools. This makes it possible to
    apply patches on non-Unix systems.

I'd just say: please give it a try.

--
andreas

Re: makepatch/applypatch beyond diff/patch

Posted by "Andreas J. Koenig" <an...@anima.de>.

  > Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> writes:
 >> Am taking a look; folks, note that a full URL is
 >>
 >> http://www.perl.com/CPAN-local/modules/by-authors/id/J/JV/JV/makepatch-2.00_09.tar.gz

  > Took a look.  Seems like a useful program... but unfortunately, it
  > doesn't document the patchkit format.  Maybe that's a pre-existing
  > convention that's documented somewhere else?

I think that makepatch is as old as patch itself and the format is a
single-implementation de facto standard. I don't know if Johan has
ever tried to write the specs down.

  > The important question for Subversion is whether the format is
  > extensible, so we can put metadata (properties) into the patchkits
  > without making them incompatible with `applypatch'.  Do you happen to
  > know the answer?

Maybe: currently, when I use makepatch on subversioned directories, I
use the '--exclude .svn' option. Depending on how properties are
stored within the .svn directories, it might be possible to include
some parts of the .svn directory and that's it. That would boil down
to a single option.

Otherwise, if you need access to the applypatch metadata directly, you
need to ask Johan, if there is room for an extension mechanism.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> writes:
> Am taking a look; folks, note that a full URL is
>
>    http://www.perl.com/CPAN-local/modules/by-authors/id/J/JV/JV/makepatch-2.00_09.tar.gz

Took a look.  Seems like a useful program... but unfortunately, it
doesn't document the patchkit format.  Maybe that's a pre-existing
convention that's documented somewhere else?

The important question for Subversion is whether the format is
extensible, so we can put metadata (properties) into the patchkits
without making them incompatible with `applypatch'.  Do you happen to
know the answer?

(And are there any other important questions I'm forgetting? :-) )

-K

Re: makepatch/applypatch beyond diff/patch

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
andreas.koenig@anima.de (Andreas J. Koenig) writes:
> > can get them from CPAN/authors/id/J/JV/makepatch-2.00_09.tar.gz.
>
> I'm not an expert in the makepatch/applypatch innards, but as the
> documentation states:
>
>     Note that 'applypatch' only requires the 'patch' program. It does
>     not rely on a shell or shell tools. This makes it possible to
>     apply patches on non-Unix systems.
>
> I'd just say: please give it a try.

Am taking a look; folks, note that a full URL is

   http://www.perl.com/CPAN-local/modules/by-authors/id/J/JV/JV/makepatch-2.00_09.tar.gz

-Karl