Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org> on 2001/04/19 09:23:20 UTC

[Phoenix] Blah Access Point

Hi,

Remember a while back when I was mumbling how I did not like the term
"Service" and how it is highly misused etc. I was reading some networking
stuff when a term  jumped out at me - "SAP" - or Service Access Point.
These describe the "plugs" that occur between layers in the network stack.
Essentially they just define a well known "name" and well known
"interface". You could effectively replace each layer with alternate
implementations as long as they worked via SAPs.

Now this is very very very close to what we use the term "Service" to
describe. It describes an interface (java interface + javadoc) and a name
(java interface classname). Now we could migrate this term to our framework
- Blah Access Points (or BAPs ;]) would be the "work" interface between
Blocks. Of course we replace "Blah" with something more appropriate, other
than that what do you think?

Cheers,

Pete

Re: [Phoenix] Blah Access Point

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I was just reading through some of my notes and I cam across another
possible term - "receptacle". I am not sure where I got it from but I used
it to mean the same thing as SAP. Just another thought.

At 05:23  19/4/01 +1000, Peter Donald wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Remember a while back when I was mumbling how I did not like the term
>"Service" and how it is highly misused etc. I was reading some networking
>stuff when a term  jumped out at me - "SAP" - or Service Access Point.
>These describe the "plugs" that occur between layers in the network stack.
>Essentially they just define a well known "name" and well known
>"interface". You could effectively replace each layer with alternate
>implementations as long as they worked via SAPs.
>
>Now this is very very very close to what we use the term "Service" to
>describe. It describes an interface (java interface + javadoc) and a name
>(java interface classname). Now we could migrate this term to our framework
>- Blah Access Points (or BAPs ;]) would be the "work" interface between
>Blocks. Of course we replace "Blah" with something more appropriate, other
>than that what do you think?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Pete

>| "Faced with the choice between changing one's mind, |
>| and proving that there is no need to do so - almost |
>| everyone gets busy on the proof."                   |
>|              - John Kenneth Galbraith               |

Cheers,

Pete