Posted to user@ambari.apache.org by Chris Mildebrandt <ch...@woodenrhino.com> on 2014/04/07 21:22:53 UTC

Finding valid properties for config via Ambari 1.5

Hello,

I'd like to take a property name and match it to a configuration type
(core-site, global-site, etc). I have found I can get a list of properties
with their type here:

http://host:8080/api/v1/stacks/HDP/versions/2.0.6/stackServices/?fields=configurations/StackConfigurations/type

However, I also noticed there are some missing values:

hive_database
templeton.hive.properties
hive_hostname
hadoop.proxyuser.hive.groups
hive_jdbc_connection_url
hadoop_conf_dir
hbase_tmp_dir
yarn.scheduler.capacity.root.default.acl_administer_queue
hive_jdbc_driver
hadoop.proxyuser.hive.hosts
oozie.service.HadoopAccessorService.jobTracker.whitelist
hive_metastore_user_passwd
fs_checkpoint_size
apache_artifacts_download_url
oozie.service.HadoopAccessorService.nameNode.whitelist
dfs_exclude
hive_database_type
run_dir
hadoop.proxyuser.oozie.groups
smokeuser
hadoop.proxyuser.hcat.hosts
nagios_contact
mapreduce.cluster.local.dir
hregion_memstoreflushsize
oozie_jdbc_connection_url
hcat_conf_dir
oozie_database
yarn.nodemanager.aux-services.mapreduce.shuffle.class
hadoop.proxyuser.oozie.hosts
yarn.scheduler.capacity.resource-calculator
oozie_jdbc_driver
oozie_hostname
hadoop.proxyuser.hcat.groups
dfs.block.local-path-access.user
java64_home
gpl_artifacts_download_url
oozie_database_type
oozie_metastore_user_passwd
user_group
nagios_web_password
hive_database_name

Is there a way to programmatically know where these parameters should live,
or that they even exist?

Thanks,
-Chris

Re: Finding valid properties for config via Ambari 1.5

Posted by Chris Mildebrandt <ch...@woodenrhino.com>.
Hi Sid,

Thanks for the additional explanation, I really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
-Chris

Posted by Siddharth Wagle <sw...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Chris,

The purpose of this API is to discover what default set of configuration
properties are needed before deploying the cluster.
Such properties are captured in the stack definition for each service
(/ambari-server/src/main/resources/stacks/HDP/2.0.6/services/*/configuration)

The properties that you have listed do not have a value because the
currently stacks API does not return properties with empty values.
The value for such properties are defined by the user. Example:
nagios_web_password, cannot have a default value in the stack definition.
However, it is needed to be in the Nagios global configuration because
Ambari monitors staleness of properties and suggests which components
require restart by looking at the actual configuration tag reported by the
agent and the latest configuration that is expected on the host.

- How does this list get generated? Is it controlled by something defined
in the stack definition?
Currently the web UI is adding all the missing values to the
configurations, that will change with fix for AMBARI-4921.

Best Regards,
Sid

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 4:53 PM, Chris Mildebrandt <ch...@woodenrhino.com>wrote:

> Sorry, I guess I was looking for a way to query the properties through a
> REST interface before things are really deployed. I am attempting to
> automate the configuration entirely through the Ambari REST API.
>
> In my example from the first note, that API into the stack provides almost
> all of the configuration parameters. I have the following questions about
> that:
>
> - What's the purpose for this API?
> - Is there a reason the list of parameters is not complete?
> - How does this list get generated? Is it controlled by something defined
> in the stack definition?
> - If it's not in the stack, would it make sense to go in that direction?
>
> Does that make sense?
>
> Thanks,
> -Chris
>

> On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Siddharth Wagle <sw...@hortonworks.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> If you look at global.xml in the stack definition you should be able to
>> find most if not all of the above properties.
>> These are properties that are required to configure the cluster but do
>> not belong to a stack component, the web UI sets the appropriate values at
>> runtime.
>> The configuration type is "global".
>>
>> I am currently working on a Jira to refactor properties with empty values
>> that might be of help,
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMBARI-4921
>> Should have a patch for trunk in a couple of days.
>>
>> -Sid
>>

>> On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 2:26 PM, Erin Boyd <eb...@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Try grepping in /etc/conf.
>>> Erin

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Finding valid properties for config via Ambari 1.5

Posted by Chris Mildebrandt <ch...@woodenrhino.com>.

Posted by Siddharth Wagle <sw...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Chris,

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

RE: Finding valid properties for config via Ambari 1.5

Posted by Erin Boyd <eb...@redhat.com>.
Try grepping in /etc/conf.
Erin