Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by brian moore <be...@cmc.net> on 1998/11/01 22:37:34 UTC

mod_proxy/3327: alarm() problems in mod_proxy (see pr#374)

>Number:         3327
>Category:       mod_proxy
>Synopsis:       alarm() problems in mod_proxy (see pr#374)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Release:        1.3.0
>Environment:
Solaris 2.5, gcc, 1.3.0, PHP/3.0.3.

All 'recommended and security' patches installed.
1.3.0 (yeah, yeah, I should upgrade) seems to still have a problem with losing the
alarms in mod_proxy.  I think I can reproduce it, which I'll play with tomorrow.
I'll also ensure it doesn't have the problem with the current release. :)

It appears to be related to FTP proxying, since all the hung daemons this morning were
from FTP transfers.  (Gotta love first of the month log rotating time and running out
of disk space since several deamons were left in 'graceful exit' mode, yet stuck.
as could be with the log files open.)
>How-To-Repeat:
I think I can do it by firewalling the IDENT port, and requesting a file from a server
or two that checks ident.  Will try that tomorrow when I'm not on a modem.
>Fix:
Will provide unless someone beats me. :)

Re: mod_proxy/3327: alarm() problems in mod_proxy (see pr#374)

Posted by brian moore <be...@cmc.net>.
On Sun, Nov 01, 1998 at 09:40:00PM -0000, apbugs@hyperreal.org wrote:
> Thank you very much for your problem report.
> It has the internal identification `mod_proxy/3327'.
> The individual assigned to look at your
> report is: apache.
>
> >Category:       mod_proxy
> >Responsible:    apache
> >Synopsis:       alarm() problems in mod_proxy (see pr#374)
> >Arrival-Date:   Sun Nov  1 13:40:00 PST 1998

hrrmph... now I can't repeat it.

I did see some missing resets of the ap_hard_timeout, which may be the
problem.  I've attached a patch file to proxy_ftp.c that puts them in,
but I don't think that's the problem.

It's acting much like pr#374 did, though certainly less often.  (Was
enough that on the first of the month auto-rotation/analog run 4 daemons
survived a USR1 and needed to be forcefully killed: at least one had
been hung for a week.)

Maybe downgrade to 'condition: weird' until I can force a failure.

--
Brian Moore                       | "The Zen nature of a spammer resembles
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     |  a cockroach, except that the cockroach