Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Sharan Foga <sh...@apache.org> on 2018/10/16 18:24:12 UTC

Request for Participation in University of Cincinnati - Open Source Survey

Hi Everyone

Please see below for a message from some researchers from the University of Cincinnati who are running a survey on participation in Open Source. The survey is open to all Apache contributors and committers and the researchers have said they make a donation to the ASF for completed responses up to a maximum of $1000.

Please feel free to circulate this message within your projects.

Thanks
Sharan

October 16, 2018

Dear Apache Software Foundation Contributors and Committers,

We are researchers at the University of Cincinnati. We want to understand how a firm's participation in open source software (OSS) development affects you and your job. Since you are significant contributors to the OSS community, we invite you to participate in our study by completing an online survey.

The survey will take approximately 15 minutes to complete. In appreciation of your time, $5 will be donated to Apache for each completed survey response up to a total of $1,000. In addition, each survey participant will be entered into a prize drawing. Two people will be randomly selected—each person will receive a $250 Visa gift card.

Your individual responses will be kept confidential and anonymous. Your participation is voluntary. You may start and then change your mind and exit the survey at any time. You can complete the survey any time before November 10th.  We will send one reminder on October 21st and one on November 8th.

Your inputs are extremely valuable to improving our understanding of how OSS development impacts developers’ career experiences.

Please click the following link to start the survey.
http://cincinnati.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3h3D0bMEHrQ47xr

Thank you again for your time!

Sincerely,
Dr. Sherae Daniel, Dr. Jaime Windeler, and Dr. Liwei Chen
University of Cincinnati
Carl H. Lindner College of Business
Department of Operations, Business Analytics & Info Systems (OBAIS)
Room 618 Carl H. Lindner Hall
2925 Campus Green Dr.
Cincinnati, OH 45221
Sherae Daniel, Ph.D.
sherae.daniel@uc.edu
New OSS Research
London School of Economics Blog Post
http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/businessreview/2018/09/26/can-your-organisation-benefit-from-embracing-the-open-source-way/
Maruping, L., Daniel, S.L., Cataldo, M., Herbsleb, J. (2018) “Developer Centrality and the Impact of Value Congruence and Incongruence on Commitment and Code Contribution Activity in Open Source Software Communities” Management Information Systems Quarterly (Accepted).
Daniel, S.L., Maruping, L., Cataldo, M. (2018) “The Impact of Ideology Fit on Companies and OSS Communities” Management Information Systems Quarterly (Accepted).
Daniel, S.L., Midha, V., Bhattacherhjee, Singh, S. (2018) "Sourcing Knowledge in open source software projects: The impacts of internal and external social capital on project success" The Journal of Strategic Information Systems (In Press).
https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1XhMS3RA8iSVl3

Re: Request for Participation in University of Cincinnati - Open Source Survey

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
It is anonymous unless you give your name and email at the end.

Posted by Andrew Palumbo <ap...@outlook.com>.

Posted by Andrew Palumbo <ap...@outlook.com>.
I've begun, had to run out in the middle.  Hopefully I can pick it up in a few hours, If possible.

Thanks

andy

Re: Request for Participation in University of Cincinnati - Open Source Survey

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

I also sent a note to the researcher who replied that was their focus. They seemed to realize that people’s employment does change.

We will see if they gain valuable insights.

I’m excited to answer an Apache survey from Com Dev.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Jim Riggs <ji...@riggs.me>.

Fwd: Request for Participation in University of Cincinnati - Open Source Survey

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
Hey all,

The researcher involved here has expressed an interest specifically in
hearing from Fineract devs.  Please consider taking the survey linked
below.

Best Regards,
Myrle

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Well that means that the results will be inherently biased, lacking in diversity, and rather useless for the ASF.

:-(

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
It also excludes retired and unemployed people. I believe people like
me, retirees who do not want the stress of a senior technical leader job
but enjoy programming, will be an increasing source of open source
programming in the future.

The results will have to be interpreted very carefully due to those
limitations. For example, the survey cannot be used to estimate the
extent of open source dependence on employer support.

It seems unfortunate, because the survey could have been made much more
generally useful without the limitation to employed people. They could
still have asked about employment status, and used that to select

The introductory paragraph needs to be rewritten. I suggest:

"Please see below for a message from some researchers from the
University of Cincinnati who are running a survey on participation in
Open Source by employed people. The survey is open to those Apache
contributors and committers who are employed by a third party. The

On 10/16/2018 11:42 AM, Steph van Schalkwyk wrote:
> [...]
>> New OSS Research
>> London School of Economics Blog Post
>>
>> http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/businessreview/2018/09/26/can-your-organisation-benefit-from-embracing-the-open-source-way/
>> Maruping, L., Daniel, S.L., Cataldo, M., Herbsleb, J. (2018) “Developer
>> Centrality and the Impact of Value Congruence and Incongruence on
>> Commitment and Code Contribution Activity in Open Source Software
>> Communities” Management Information Systems Quarterly (Accepted).
>> Daniel, S.L., Maruping, L., Cataldo, M. (2018) “The Impact of Ideology Fit
>> on Companies and OSS Communities” Management Information Systems Quarterly
>> (Accepted).
>> Daniel, S.L., Midha, V., Bhattacherhjee, Singh, S. (2018) "Sourcing
>> Knowledge in open source software projects: The impacts of internal and
>> external social capital on project success" The Journal of Strategic

---
https://www.avg.com

Re: Request for Participation in University of Cincinnati - Open Source Survey

Posted by Steph van Schalkwyk <sv...@gmail.com>.

FW: Request for Participation in University of Cincinnati - Open Source Survey

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
FYI for anyone who likes taking surveys.

    https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcincinnati.ca1.qualtrics.com%2Fjfe%2Fform%2FSV_3h3D0bMEHrQ47xr&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C944e1d1eda7a413f8c2608d6339493da%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636753110566841551&amp;sdata=U5hQdBllpo38eDyX3RTJJqubCsVynqSvPkGFDPNZ5T8%3D&amp;reserved=0

    https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fblogs.lse.ac.uk%2Fbusinessreview%2F2018%2F09%2F26%2Fcan-your-organisation-benefit-from-embracing-the-open-source-way%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C944e1d1eda7a413f8c2608d6339493da%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636753110566841551&amp;sdata=A0LFJeUjWYAj5%2FqPp9zW8vjifG4dS1WwblayA2e51So%3D&amp;reserved=0
    https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fauthors.elsevier.com%2Fa%2F1XhMS3RA8iSVl3&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C944e1d1eda7a413f8c2608d6339493da%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636753110566841551&amp;sdata=hCbutnrgvFGZXJ2eRvUP4f4XhOvsTvPQlnA5agAb%2BR4%3D&amp;reserved=0

Re: Request for Participation in University of Cincinnati - Open Source Survey

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 01/11/2018 15:57, Branko Čibej wrote:
> On 16.10.2018 20:24, Sharan Foga wrote:
>> Hi Everyone
>>
>> Please see below for a message from some researchers from the University of Cincinnati who are running a survey on participation in Open Source. The survey is open to all Apache contributors and committers and the researchers have said they make a donation to the ASF for completed responses up to a maximum of $1000.
>>
>> Please feel free to circulate this message within your projects.
>

> They decided to spam many of us using our personal @apache.org e-mails.
> What's worse, they did it a second time today, *after I explicitly
> unsubscribed from their list*.
>
> Their behaviour is completely unacceptable and I don't see why anyone
> should spend their free time to encourage it.

https://www.uc.edu/infosec/reportincident.html

abuse@uc.edu

Mark

Re: Request for Participation in University of Cincinnati - Open Source Survey

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
Others I talked to didn't get it either.   What a mess :-)

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
I got it. I did not opt out.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.