Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/10 22:45:05 UTC

UIMA release - lots of missing SVN eol-style property settings

The SVN tag

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/uima/uimaj/tags/uimaj-2.2.2/uimaj-2.2.2-05

has lots of missing SVN eol-style settings. See the file

uimaj-2.2.2-05.sh
in
http://people.apache.org/~sebb/SVNfixes/

This should probably be applied to trunk as well ...

Re: UIMA release - lots of missing SVN eol-style property settings

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Friday 11 April 2008, Thilo Goetz wrote:
> sebb wrote:
> >>
> >> http://www.apache.org/dev/version-control.html#https-svn-config

> >> cr/lf (or have to see ^M marks all over the place).   I do all
> >> kinds of edits to bat files from my Linux box.  However, if they
> >> get committed with "mixed" styles, some versions of windows
> >> complain loudly when you try to run them.
> >>  Ok, I'll take your word for it ;-)
> >>
> >>  So how do you handle releases, as I asked in a different mail
> >>  in this thread?  If you now extract the code on unix, you have
> >>  .bat files with unix eol chars.  I don't think the windows shell
> >>  handles that.  Same for .sh files, just the other way around.
> >>  I'm sure people have a solution for that, but I don't see it.
> >
> > use eol-style: LF for .sh and CRLF for .bat/.cmd
>
> Right, that's what we're doing.  Dan on the other hand is
> recommending using eol-style:native, because he wants to
> edit .bat files on unix.  And this is also the setting in
> svn config that you pointed to above, btw.  We may have
> entered a loop here, not quite sure yet.

Yea.  This is an interesting one.   It might work for CRLF.   I think svn
may then prevent the commit on unix if they are inconsistent.   I know
you cannot "svn add" a file if the eol styles are inconsistent.  Not
sure about an commit.

In anycase, ANY setting is better than no setting.   It at least keeps
the file in a consistent shape.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer, IONA

Re: UIMA release - lots of missing SVN eol-style property settings

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
sebb wrote:
> On 11/04/2008, Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de> wrote:
>> Daniel Kulp wrote:

>> http://www.apache.org/dev/version-control.html#https-svn-config

>>> So a unix person can edit it without leaving lines that don't have the
>> cr/lf (or have to see ^M marks all over the place).   I do all kinds of
>> edits to bat files from my Linux box.  However, if they get committed with
>> "mixed" styles, some versions of windows complain loudly when you try to run
>> them.
>>  Ok, I'll take your word for it ;-)
>>
>>  So how do you handle releases, as I asked in a different mail
>>  in this thread?  If you now extract the code on unix, you have
>>  .bat files with unix eol chars.  I don't think the windows shell
>>  handles that.  Same for .sh files, just the other way around.
>>  I'm sure people have a solution for that, but I don't see it.
>>

> use eol-style: LF for .sh and CRLF for .bat/.cmd

Right, that's what we're doing.  Dan on the other hand is
recommending using eol-style:native, because he wants to
edit .bat files on unix.  And this is also the setting in
svn config that you pointed to above, btw.  We may have
entered a loop here, not quite sure yet.

--Thilo

Re: UIMA release - lots of missing SVN eol-style property settings

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
sebb wrote:
> On 11/04/2008, Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de> wrote:
[...]
>>  True.  We try to avoid that ;-).  Although most of us work on windows,
>>  we use unix style eol chars for all source code.
>>

> That probably annoys the Mac Users...

We have Mac users (and developers), and they haven't
complained yet.  Maybe they're used to trouble, I
don't know.  Unfortunately, I don't own a Mac :-(

--Thilo

Re: UIMA release - lots of missing SVN eol-style property settings

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 11/04/2008, Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de> wrote:
> sebb wrote:

> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/uima/uimaj/tags/uimaj-2.2.2/uimaj-2.2.2-05

> > > general-help@incubator.apache.org
> > >  Hi Sebb,
> > >
> > >  thanks for looking over our release.
> > >
> > >  There are a lot of files in your list where not setting
> > >  the eol-style property is intentional: all our test files.
> > >

> > Which extensions are these?
> > I can change my script to treat these differently.
> >

>  .txt mostly, some .xml.  So I think one needs to handle this
>  on an individual file level.

My script can be set up to allow optional values, e.g. at present pdf
files can have a mime-type of either
   'application/octet-stream'
 or
   'application/pdf'

> > >  Setting eol-style:native would make our tests fail on one
> > >  platform or another as they're usually compared to some
> > >  expected output, which in turn depends on the exact byte
> > >  content of the files.
> > >
> > >  Unfortunately, there is no (valid) eol-style:none
> > >  or such that allows us to make this intention explicit.
> > >

> > In which case, the tests may fail to work on OSes with a different
> > line ending, unless you set the mime-type to binary.
> >

>  I don't understand that remark.
>

> > >  For the java code we could set it to native.  We just never
> > >  felt the need.  Since we need to be careful with our test
> > >  files, we don't follow the automatic eol-style client setup
> > >  as recommended.  AFAIK, all UIMA developers use Eclipse
> > >  for their development, and Eclipse doesn't care about
> > >  eol style (or not that I noticed anyway).
> > >

> > No it doesn't mind. But SVN does.
> > If you edit a Java file on Unix and commit to SVN, then someone who
> > edits it on Mac or Windows and commits to SVN will generate an SVN
> > diff which shows the whole file has been changed. Makes it very
> > difficult to see what has actually changed. Likewise for pom.xml etc.
> >

>  True.  We try to avoid that ;-).  Although most of us work on windows,
>  we use unix style eol chars for all source code.

That probably annoys the Mac Users...

> > >  I hope you'll agree that it's up to the project to set an
> > >  eol-style policy.  Our policy is not to set the property
> > >  unless it's required (e.g., for .sh or .bat files).
> > >

> > Indeed, but see also:
> >

> http://www.apache.org/dev/version-control.html#https-svn-config
> >
> > These conventions are generally used by Java projects, e.g. all of
> Commons.
> >

>  Yes, and they don't work for us, as I pointed out earlier.
>
>  There are also settings in there that I find rather doubtful.  What
>  is the point of having eol-style for .bat files set to native?

No idea - I would have thought CRLF would be more appropriate.

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Friday 11 April 2008, Thilo Goetz wrote:
> Daniel Kulp wrote:
> > On Friday 11 April 2008, Thilo Goetz wrote:
> >> For the java code we could set it to native.  We just never
> >> felt the need.  Since we need to be careful with our test
> >> files, we don't follow the automatic eol-style client setup
> >> as recommended.  AFAIK, all UIMA developers use Eclipse
> >> for their development, and Eclipse doesn't care about
> >> eol style (or not that I noticed anyway).
> >
> > I just want to say that this is a fairly short sighted view.
> > CURRENTLY, all your developers use Eclipse, but if eol-style is not
> > set properly on the files, it makes it much harder for other people
> > that don't use eclipse to jump in and look at code and help.   For
> > example, without eol-style, a unix committed file loaded into
> > notepad ends up all on one line.  (not that anyone in their right
> > mind would use notepad)   It's
>
> That's a pretty hypothetical scenario.  What editors that a programmer
> would use are there on windows that don't handle unix eol chars?

Um... well.  If I just need to make a real quick edit (like fix a typo in
a string), I may startup anything that starts up real quick, like
notepad.   Eclipse takes too long.  Even on Linux, I use eclipse for
most stuff, but if I need to make a quick pom edit or fix a checkstyle
error after cruisecontrol emails me a build failure or something, I'll
just use vim or something.

In anycase, there are a bunch of editors on windows that by default will
create files with DOS eol style.   I think even eclipse might.   If you
edit an EXISTING file that is unix, they keep it that way, but creating
a new file defaults ot DOS style.  If a Unix person using an older
version of emacs or vim or something loads that file, they see ^M things
all over the place.

> You
> call it short-sighted, I call it on-demand.  If somebody comes along
> and says I would like to help with UIMA but I can't because of your
> stupid unix eol settings, then we'll certainly reconsider.  In the
> mean time, we're just saving ourselves some trouble.

The main issue is that adding the svn:eol-style CAN be hugely disruptive
later.  If a file has "mixed" styles (some lines unix, some lines
windows), you have to fix it. Which can create HUGE diffs and disrupts
history, branch merges, etc...   Getting it setup properly at the start
prevents a large amount of pain later.

Example: in general, the cxf devs are pretty good about it.  (I used to
run a script once a month or so to double check, but haven't in a
while).   sebb's script for cxf still resulted in a commit email broken
into about 10 parts.  The larger a project gets, the harder and more
painful it is to fix later.

In anycase, not a concern for the release vote, but IMO, something that
should be STRONGLY considered.

Dan

> But I certainly get your point.  I recently offered to help on a
> project, but decided not to when the developers refused to make a
> small change that would have allowed me to work in Eclipse.
>
> > probably not in the projects best interest to intentional exclude
> > folks by making it harder for them to look at the code.  Thus, you
> > then only attract the folks that use eclipse making it
> > self-fullfilling that all the developers use eclipse.
>
> I agree with you in principle, see above.  Just not sure this
> is really a concern.
>
> --Thilo

J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer, IONA
dkulp@apache.org
http://www.dankulp.com/blog

Re: UIMA release - lots of missing SVN eol-style property settings

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
Daniel Kulp wrote:
> Actually, there is a "reverse" issue....  It also makes it quite
> difficult for people to help with UIMA if they are also contributors to
> other projects that DO use the normal svn settings,  Eclipse or not.
>
> For example, lets pretend for a moment that I'm a Windows user that uses
> eclipse and contributes to several Apache projects.  My svn is setup
> properly so any .java files I add are eol-style:native, etc...   I then
> am voted in as a committer to UIMA due to some awesome work I've done.
> Do I need to maintain completely different svn settings when working on
> UIMA so that I don't add files in "windows" format?
>
> Dan

Dan, you've got me on the .java files, but you'll never convince me
that the default settings for .bat and .sh files are a good idea.  Nor
for .txt, for that matter.  This is all very well for some English readme
files, but if you work with text as data, and exotic code pages, you don't
want your data repository to go in and manipulate your data.  All hell
breaks loose, I've been there.

Anyway, as I said, if your hypothetical developer becomes real, we
can work this out I'm sure.

--Thilo

Re: UIMA release - lots of missing SVN eol-style property settings

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Actually, there is a "reverse" issue....  It also makes it quite
difficult for people to help with UIMA if they are also contributors to
other projects that DO use the normal svn settings,  Eclipse or not.

For example, lets pretend for a moment that I'm a Windows user that uses
eclipse and contributes to several Apache projects.  My svn is setup
properly so any .java files I add are eol-style:native, etc...   I then
am voted in as a committer to UIMA due to some awesome work I've done.
Do I need to maintain completely different svn settings when working on
UIMA so that I don't add files in "windows" format?

Dan

On Friday 11 April 2008, Thilo Goetz wrote:
> Daniel Kulp wrote:
> > On Friday 11 April 2008, Thilo Goetz wrote:
> >> For the java code we could set it to native.  We just never
> >> felt the need.  Since we need to be careful with our test
> >> files, we don't follow the automatic eol-style client setup
> >> as recommended.  AFAIK, all UIMA developers use Eclipse
> >> for their development, and Eclipse doesn't care about
> >> eol style (or not that I noticed anyway).
> >
> > I just want to say that this is a fairly short sighted view.
> > CURRENTLY, all your developers use Eclipse, but if eol-style is not
> > set properly on the files, it makes it much harder for other people
> > that don't use eclipse to jump in and look at code and help.   For
> > example, without eol-style, a unix committed file loaded into
> > notepad ends up all on one line.  (not that anyone in their right
> > mind would use notepad)   It's
>
> That's a pretty hypothetical scenario.  What editors that a programmer
> would use are there on windows that don't handle unix eol chars?  You
> call it short-sighted, I call it on-demand.  If somebody comes along
> and says I would like to help with UIMA but I can't because of your
> stupid unix eol settings, then we'll certainly reconsider.  In the
> mean time, we're just saving ourselves some trouble.
>
> But I certainly get your point.  I recently offered to help on a
> project, but decided not to when the developers refused to make a
> small change that would have allowed me to work in Eclipse.
>
> > probably not in the projects best interest to intentional exclude
> > folks by making it harder for them to look at the code.  Thus, you
> > then only attract the folks that use eclipse making it
> > self-fullfilling that all the developers use eclipse.
>
> I agree with you in principle, see above.  Just not sure this
> is really a concern.
>
> --Thilo

J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer, IONA
dkulp@apache.org
http://www.dankulp.com/blog

Re: UIMA release - lots of missing SVN eol-style property settings

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Friday 11 April 2008, Thilo Goetz wrote:
> For the java code we could set it to native.  We just never
> felt the need.  Since we need to be careful with our test
> files, we don't follow the automatic eol-style client setup
> as recommended.  AFAIK, all UIMA developers use Eclipse
> for their development, and Eclipse doesn't care about
> eol style (or not that I noticed anyway).

I just want to say that this is a fairly short sighted view.   CURRENTLY,
all your developers use Eclipse, but if eol-style is not set properly on
the files, it makes it much harder for other people that don't use
eclipse to jump in and look at code and help.   For example, without
eol-style, a unix committed file loaded into notepad ends up all on one
line.  (not that anyone in their right mind would use notepad)   It's
probably not in the projects best interest to intentional exclude folks
by making it harder for them to look at the code.  Thus, you then only
attract the folks that use eclipse making it self-fullfilling that all
the developers use eclipse.

As sebb pointed out, there are issues with svn diff and change tracking
as well.  Without eol-style set, a one line change can actually result
in the ENTIRE file being marked changed.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer, IONA

Re: UIMA release - lots of missing SVN eol-style property settings

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.