Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com> on 2003/01/07 09:38:22 UTC

MessageContext and final static strings

MessageContext has a lot of public static strings, but it seems to me that
they should be public final static strings, since their target use is the
various names of properties.

Can we change these to final static strings? Or does everything out there
break?

If we cannot change the existing strings, we can at least put a block on
adding new non-final strings through comments and self control.

-steve

Re: MessageContext and final static strings

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
> Oy ve.  I highly doubt changing them to final will break anything, but it
> is a risk.  I'd say don't change them but I'd add the statement that these
> really should have been final from the beginning.  But I'll vote +0 on it
> unless we find that it really does break existing code.

I need to do a controlled experiment.

> As for the second part, +1 on putting a block on adding new non-final
> strings.

noted

Re: MessageContext and final static strings

Posted by James M Snell <ja...@us.ibm.com>.
Oy ve.  I highly doubt changing them to final will break anything, but it
is a risk.  I'd say don't change them but I'd add the statement that these
really should have been final from the beginning.  But I'll vote +0 on it
unless we find that it really does break existing code.

As for the second part, +1 on putting a block on adding new non-final
strings.

- James Snell
     IBM Emerging Technologies
     jasnell@us.ibm.com
     (559) 587-1233 (office)
     (700) 544-9035 (t/l)
     Programming Web Services With SOAP
         O'Reilly & Associates, ISBN 0596000952

     Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous.
     Do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your
     God will be with you whereever you go.    - Joshua 1:9

"Steve Loughran" <st...@iseran.com>
01/07/2003 12:38 AM
Please respond to axis-dev

"axis-dev" <ax...@xml.apache.org>