Posted to dev@plc4x.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2021/01/07 09:28:53 UTC

Reflecting on how we volunteer to do stuff

Hi folks,

I'd like to discuss something ... something I have been noticining in the last year or so.

We're a cool bunch of people, doing awesome stuff. However momentum in the project has sort of slowed down quite a bit. I know we have some great new initiatives going on, but let's say it's become a bit quiet around the folks which have been involved for a longer time period.

I would like to get more people involved and active in the project. Therefore I would like to strart posting low-hanging fruit here on the list.

In the past when I did so, the community was quite fast in raising hands and volunteering to do things. However volunteering is one thing, actually doing seems to be something else. In my impression we could improve on the delivering side. I know we are a volunteer driven community and you are therefore contributing voluntarily in your free time or in the time your company is paying you. But ... keep in mind:

  *   If you volunteer to do something, probably others will not raise a hand to also contribute. If you now don't deliver what you signed up for, the others won't either.
  *   If you volunteer to do something, I will think that this base is covered and not jump in (I don't want to interfere in every initiative, but I am happy and willing to help if help is needed)

So could you please do me a favour?

If I start posting some low-hanging fruit in the near future, please consider if you will also have the time to actually do so, before signing up?

Chris

AW: Reflecting on how we volunteer to do stuff

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
I'm not complaining about internal people picking low-hanging fruit.

It's about stepping up and announcing to be willing to do something and then not doing it and not announcing that unfortunately you currently can't do so.

Justin once refered to it as "Cookie Licking" (Well actually he wanted to say that, but wrote something else ;-) )
By announcing you're sort of taking that cookie out of the jar and licking it and putting it back in the jar. By that, you made sure nobody will touch that cookie.

So I would just like to ask you folks to only lick the cookie if you are actually going to eat it in some timely maner ;-)

Chris

Posted by Łukasz Dywicki <lu...@code-house.org>.