Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com> on 1998/08/23 21:10:01 UTC

Re: os-windows/2887: Requested URL was not found on this server problem only with WINDOWS!!!

The following reply was made to PR os-windows/2887; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
To: Webmaster <we...@epost.co.uk>
Cc: apbugs@apache.org
Subject: Re: os-windows/2887: Requested URL was not found on this server
 problem only with WINDOWS!!!
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 10:51:07 -0700 (PDT)

 On Sun, 23 Aug 1998, Webmaster wrote:

 > >On 21 Aug 1998, John Lloyd wrote:

 > >> server, which when a form is submitted from our usuaul web site it
 > >> then goes to this site to run the CGI. But unfortunatelty, it doesn't
 > >> work with windows platforms, coming up with the error message
 > >> 'Requested URL was not found on this server'
 > >>
 > >> IT works fine on Macs, Unix and also even using Lynx web browser just
 > >> not on Netscape and IE4 with windows.
 > >
 > >Sorry, that URL doesn't work for me.
 > >
 > >Are you _SURE_ you cleared your browser's cache before trying?
 > >
 > >Are you sure you have your server configured so that
 > >/property/rentprop/rent-prop-srch.cgi exists?  This really looks like you
 > >simply don't have the CGI in the location on your server.
 > >
 > >What is in the error log on your server?
 >
 > Thanks for your help, browser cache has been cleared. The web server
 > software is Apache 1.3.0, the file does exist and works for MAC's & Unix
 > Lynx browser so why not for Windows ???

 It does not work with Lynx for me.

 > I've tried it on Windows with Navigator 3.0 and it works, so there must be
 > a problem with the way IE4 & Navigator 4 interpret the web server replies.
 >
 > Any thoughts on this?

 Once again, what is in your error log?  and access log that differs for
 successes and failures?  It is important you answer questions I ask or
 there is no way we can help.

 If you enter http://cgi.epost.co.uk/property/rentprop/rent-prop-srch.cgi
 directly into your browser, does it work from any platform?

 Verify that cgi.epost.co.uk is supposed to be pointing to 193.164.194.2;
 if some systems had different DNS info they could be connecting to a
 completely different machine.  Are you sure there is no difference between
 the machines where it works and it doesn't?  eg. a firewall, different
 network, etc.

 This is almost certainly nothing to do with Apache.