Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dave Robbins <dr...@cgn.net> on 2003/12/11 17:50:46 UTC

Newbie question

Hello All,

Hope someone can help me out.
I developed a servlet using Netbeans and when I tried to deploy it I had
problem
In an attempt to debug, I went back to Netbeans and created the simplest
servlet I could,
 it just prints out some text. Works fine in development environment.
Netbeans has option to build test.war file for me, did that.
put test.war file in $CATALINA_HOME/webapps
restarted tomcat
I can see new directory test with WEB-INF/classes/test.class in it
point browser an http:/www.xxx.yyy.zzz:8080/test and I get directory listing
with nothing in it
if I make junk.html file in $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/test. I can load it like
$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/test/junk.html
if I just give it http:/www.xxx.yyy.zzz:8080/test I see directory listing
with junk.html
shouldn't I see WEB-INF in directory listing??
I've messed with Netbeans/Tomcat in the past and I thought all I had to do
was make war file
dump it in webapps dir and restart Tomcat
seems like a path problem to the servlet

linux 2.4.18 tomcat 5.0.16

Anybody see what I'm missing

Thanx
Dave

Re: Newbie question

Posted by Ben Souther <bp...@adelphia.net>.
First:
Did Netbeans create a deployment descriptor for you (WEB-INF/web.xml)?
If so, look for a servlet mapping in the descriptor. It will look something
like this:

  <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>HelloWorldServlet</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/HelloWorld</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>

"HelloWorldServlet" being the name of your servlet and and "HelloWorld" being
the mapping.

If so, you can access your servlet with the following URL:
http://localhost:8080/YOUR_APP_NAME/HelloWorld

Second:
If you create your own directory under TOMCAT_HOME/webapps,
you will need to create a sub-directory called WEB-INF in order for Tomcat to
autoDeploy it as an application.