Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org> on 2002/08/25 15:21:49 UTC

Attribute DD and Model DD

On Sun, 25 Aug 2002 22:18, Paul Hammant wrote:
> >Have a look at Microsofts "attribute-driven" programming style that is
> > part of dot net. I have not looked at implementation details mainly just
> >research+white papers about it. Thats where I want a lot of avalon stuff
> > to go in the future. It is a brilliant concept when used appropriately.
>
> That's what everyone is saying.  Expect .Net inspired atributes to
> arrive in Java3.

JSR 175 (???) is doing them and it is led by a fairly smart guy so hopefully
they will be kool. I hope they don't try to over define it though as that
will screw it up but if they don't it could be sweet. JSR 175 is why I have
been so insistent on keeping only type information in the
BlockInfo/ComponentInfo as it will give us a clean migration path to JDK1.5s
features.

> >Can you imagine the ease of this if we ever achieved it?
> >* Service Orientated Programming + Attribute driven framework
> >* Model Driven development + Attribute driven framework
> >
> >I think the above is largely achievable (even if not in a a completely
> > generic fashion for MDD).
> >
> >If someone was to come up with a decent process/workflow system (I haven't
> >ever seen anything that is vaguely close to being viable) then it would
> > make development soooooooooo much easier - essentially just coding in
> > buisness rules and maybe engines to interpret the model.
> >
> >Anyways I believe I be gushing ;)
>
> Sigh, will this commercial effort ever be open-sourced?

No idea. Parts of it definetly could be. The end client is telstra (a local
telco) who does not give a doodie about the code IP and my indirect employer
already intends to keep 90% of the infrastructure code as part of the deal.
So it may be possible. Though it is rather ugly code ;)

If there was an opensource implementation of the MetaData JSR then I would
definetly do it properly. I have already rewritten the basic plumbing about 5
times because it is easier to do that than do it properly. Going via
something like the MetaData API would make it worth the effort.

Anyone familiar with any object metadata frameworks in opensource land?

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: Attribute DD and Model DD

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Peter Donald wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Aug 2002 23:31, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>Article on JMI
>>http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/J2EE/JMI/
>>
>>XMI spec
>>http://cgi.omg.org/docs/formal/00-11-02.pdf
>>
>>JMI spec
>>http://www.jcp.org/jsr/detail/40.jsp
>>

>>>Anyone familiar with any object metadata frameworks in opensource land?
>>
>>http://mdr.netbeans.org/
>>http://mdr.netbeans.org/architecture.html
>>
>>http://www.dlib.org/dlib/july96/lagoze/07lagoze.html
>>
>>http://nsuml.sourceforge.net/
>>http://argouml.tigris.org/documentation/defaulthtml/cookbook/ch03s05.html
>>http://argouml.tigris.org/
>

> Thanks!

:-D

I'm glad I was of some help :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Attribute DD and Model DD

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 25 Aug 2002 23:31, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Article on JMI
> http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/J2EE/JMI/
>
> XMI spec
> http://cgi.omg.org/docs/formal/00-11-02.pdf
>
> JMI spec
> http://www.jcp.org/jsr/detail/40.jsp
>
> > Anyone familiar with any object metadata frameworks in opensource land?
>
> http://mdr.netbeans.org/
> http://mdr.netbeans.org/architecture.html
>
> http://www.dlib.org/dlib/july96/lagoze/07lagoze.html
>
> http://nsuml.sourceforge.net/