Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Guy Davis <da...@guydavis.ca> on 2005/01/13 21:33:37 UTC

Debugging unit test failures under

Thanks for the previous answers about my having site:generate
consistently crash java.exe.  With most of the reports disabled, I'm
able to successfully execute this goal now.

However, I'm trying to determine the cause of the many (but not all)
unit tests failing.  Is there a way to see the exact stdout and stderr
from an individual test.  Using the <unitTest><includes..> I can run
just a single failing test, but I can't seem to get any output from it.

How would I see the stdout and stderr to figure out the problem.  It's
definitely configuration as the tests all pass fine from Ant and JBuilder.

Thanks,
Guy

RE: Debugging unit test failures under

Posted by Todd Huss <th...@greatschools.net>.
Guy,

My approach here is probably not the "right way" for debugging unit test
failures but here it is for what it's worth as a novice Maven user.

To see JUnit log messages I add this to my project.properties:

maven.junit.fork=true

which basically causes log4j to print all junit message to STDOUT. I was
having a problem with a runtime dependency not being present and not getting
any sensible error messages which I documented here:

http://jroller.com/page/thuss/Blog/learning_maven

You can also look for individual test results in: target/test-reports/

-Todd