Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "V. Cekvenich" <vc...@basebeans.com> on 2002/12/12 23:01:02 UTC

Re: [Way-OT] Struts and Swing

Another Approach is SOAP:
Write a Standard Struts MVC Web application and deploy release 1, web only.
Then add Axis to the mix.
On a SOAP request create the already tested bean (getters and setters).
Best your actions have helpers. Create proxies in SOAP for beans and
helpers. (model is easier to reuse. Also for this and many other reasons
  best avoid Dynabeans. Other reasons is Model 1:JSP use Bean; unit
testing, multi developer CVS hot sport and   .... much harder to unit test)
Now you can call same via SWING (Or Visual Basic (VB is somtimes easier
to deploy than SWING) or Excel .... etc.).
Call the stubs as needed for the heavy client.

Altenratlively, you can just JAR up your model/bean layer, and use the
JAR in you Swing app, if you do not have a fire wall to DB.

.V