Posted to users@zeppelin.apache.org by Prabhu GS <pp...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/22 09:45:58 UTC

Null pointer exception in Hive interpreter when using aggregate functions

Hi team,

I cloned Zeppelin from https://github.com/apache/incubator-zeppelin.git and
built from source and installed it locally.

I created a table using the Hive interpreter,

%hive
create table test (id int, name string)

Then inserted a few rows successfully into the table.

%hive
select * from test

works fine.

But the below queries(run separately) throw null pointer exceptions:

%hive
select count(*) from test

%hive
select id, count(id) from test group by id

throw the below exception,

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.zeppelin.hive.HiveInterpreter.getConnection(HiveInterpreter.java:184)
        at
org.apache.zeppelin.hive.HiveInterpreter.getStatement(HiveInterpreter.java:204)
        at
org.apache.zeppelin.hive.HiveInterpreter.executeSql(HiveInterpreter.java:233)
        at
org.apache.zeppelin.hive.HiveInterpreter.interpret(HiveInterpreter.java:328)
        at
org.apache.zeppelin.interpreter.ClassloaderInterpreter.interpret(ClassloaderInterpreter.java:57)
        at
org.apache.zeppelin.interpreter.LazyOpenInterpreter.interpret(LazyOpenInterpreter.java:93)
        at
org.apache.zeppelin.interpreter.remote.RemoteInterpreterServer$InterpretJob.jobRun(RemoteInterpreterServer.java:302)
        at org.apache.zeppelin.scheduler.Job.run(Job.java:171)
        at
org.apache.zeppelin.scheduler.ParallelScheduler$JobRunner.run(ParallelScheduler.java:162)
        at
java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:471)
        at
java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$201(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:178)
        at
java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:292)
        at
        at
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Please help me out.

Regards

Re: Null pointer exception in Hive interpreter when using aggregate functions

Posted by Prabhu GS <pp...@gmail.com>.
Thanks,

The commit
https://github.com/vgmartinez/incubator-zeppelin/commit/05fa23f8c5112b4e60d0ff1685565af31e5e8a44