Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <jv...@periapt.com> on 2000/08/30 19:09:00 UTC

Re: Webmacro & Velocity

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, John McNally wrote:

> A couple points:
>
> From earlier discussions on this list and on Turbine's list, it appeared
> that once the Velocity developers were free to investigate the WebMacro code
> at some length they decided there was not much worth saving from WebMacro.
> That Velocity would progress more quickly without having deal with all the
> stuff in WebMacro that is unrelated to the goal of Velocity, a simple, fast,
> template engine.  Has this opinion changed?
>
> And sitting on the sidelines watching the negotiations with Justin over
> Turbine's use of WebMacro, which went nowhere as long as Justin thought we
> had no other choice, but to bend to his wishes, I have to say I was quite
> relieved to think that we had broken free from the gridlock he imposed.  And
> this gridlock was not even related to something he cares that much about,
> the GPL.  I am assuming he cares more about the technical issues.  Jason and
> the others have done a great job on Velocity, I worry  that progress will
> slow to a standstill as Justin wields his -1, stopping any development he
> doesn't like on HIS project.

I don't think that will, we are going to have separate code bases,
and I'm going to ask that we sort of keep separate for a while
because I want to chance to implement Velocity the way
we originally intended. I don't think he has a problem with
that. He claims that the users are more important, and is
glad to have the project housed at the ASF. I don't think
he will intentionally try and force us to use parts of
WebMacro we don't want to.

All this still has to get through the PMC. The Velocity
developers are working hard to get an implementation
together and I think we should be allowed to finish
our first cut without any interference from Justin.

We should all look at the parts of WebMacro that we
want to use. I myself definitely don't want to be
forced into using things I don't want to. And if
things like that start happening I'm not going to
be very cooperative in the. But like I said I don't
think this will happen.

A quick iteration is what I'd like to see. Hit a the
wall wherever we do, look for limitations in the
implementation try and rework some stuff. And then
start talking about a code merger. I simply haven't
gone through all the WM code either, I've only been
able to look at it for the last couple of days.

I think we will all be able to get along :)

jvz.

--

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@periapt.com

Re: Webmacro & Velocity

Posted by "Daniel L. Rall" <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Jason van Zyl wrote:
> [snip]
> I don't think
> he will intentionally try and force us to use parts of
> WebMacro we don't want to.

Good--that follows the model set by JServ/Tomcat.

> All this still has to get through the PMC. The Velocity
> developers are working hard to get an implementation
> together and I think we should be allowed to finish
> our first cut without any interference from Justin.

Right now, Velocity the only ASF templating engine.  :)

> We should all look at the parts of WebMacro that we
> want to use. I myself definitely don't want to be
> forced into using things I don't want to. And if
> things like that start happening I'm not going to
> be very cooperative in the. But like I said I don't
> think this will happen.

Preach on brother  ;P

> A quick iteration is what I'd like to see. Hit a the
> wall wherever we do, look for limitations in the
> implementation try and rework some stuff. And then
> start talking about a code merger. I simply haven't
> gone through all the WM code either, I've only been
> able to look at it for the last couple of days.

I think that by the time we're done with the first iteration, there
won't be any functionality to add to Velocity, only refinement of what
is already there.
--

Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>