Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by pascal <p2...@gmail.com> on 2015/05/04 16:56:51 UTC

Re: Does the securePort for Cluster/Channel/Receiver work yet?

Hi List

This was all done with tomcat-7.0.27 (sorry for being behind)

I just tried with 8.0.21 with the same result.
I would even appreciate a "don't bother trying" response from someone with
better insight into the code.
I'm also not complaining about a missing feature, the only bug may be in
the documentation :-)

Cheers Pascal

Re: Does the securePort for Cluster/Channel/Receiver work yet?

Posted by pascal <p2...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris

>:

> Pascal,
>
> On 5/4/15 10:56 AM, pascal wrote:
> > This was all done with tomcat-7.0.27 (sorry for being behind)
> >>

> > I just tried with 8.0.21 with the same result. I would even
> > appreciate a "don't bother trying" response from someone with
> > better insight into the code. I'm also not complaining about a
> > missing feature, the only bug may be in the documentation :-)
>
> If possible, please repeat your tests with 7.0.latest. Tons of fixes
> have been made to the clustering components within Tomcat.

Just tried with 7.0.61 with the same result.

I expect to have a tomcat listening on the port I specify with securePort=
as described here
https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/cluster-receiver.html#Common_Attributes

I added this sole option to my working server.xml, restart tomcat and check
with netstat
Would you agree that I at least try it the right way?

That being said, I don't believe there are any supported options for
> secure communications for clustering.

Usually there are more SSL related settings like "use key x",  "trust CA
y", etc.
So probably this is really not implemented.

If you are using static membership, you could use stunnel or OpenVPN
> or something similar to encrypt your traffic. I'm not sure if OpenVPN
> can tunnel multicast,

Yes, that was my plan B as well. I'd say static membership and stunnel
or OpenVPN and multicast should work.

Cheers Pascal

Re: Does the securePort for Cluster/Channel/Receiver work yet?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.