Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com> on 2007/08/08 21:31:08 UTC

[idea] Application .info directory

I think I'm finally over my Titan Quest: Immortal Throne bender, and
was thinking about a problem David mentioned to me the other day...

When we deploy an application we create a meta-data complete ejb-
jar.xml file amongst other artifacts in memory.  This data is very
useful for debugging applications but takes up a lot of memory (and
is generally just a pain to track).  My idea at the time was to just
dump the file to the temp directory and keep around a pointer to the
location, but that is problematic because systems normally have
scripts that clean the temp dir and to be friendly, you want to
delete the file on shutdown.  So here is my improved idea:

For each application we deploy we create a .info directory beside
it.  For example, if we deploy foo.ear, we create a foo.ear.info (or
foo.info) directory.  This directory would contain the meta-data
complete ejb-jar.xml file in addition to the cmp to jpa mappings file
and any other information we think might be helpful to debug/admin
the application.

WDYT?

-dain

Re: [idea] Application .info directory

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
+1 on the logger.info idea

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Re: [idea] Application .info directory

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.

--
Karan Singh Malhi

Re: [idea] Application .info directory

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Re: [idea] Application .info directory

Posted by Manu George <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.
> For each application we deploy we create a .info directory beside
> it.  For example, if we deploy foo.ear, we create a foo.ear.info (or
> foo.info) directory.  This directory would contain the meta-data
> complete ejb-jar.xml file in addition to the cmp to jpa mappings file
> and any other information we think might be helpful to debug/admin
> the application.
>
> WDYT?
>
> -dain

Dain,

Are you going to implement this? I really liked the idea

--
Karan Singh Malhi