Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by ja...@lotk.de on 2006/10/19 09:13:20 UTC

Big eMails / Solution for "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space"

Hello all,

yesterday my James had to transport an eMail with an 18MB attachment. This endet up
with an "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space".

The java-geeks here certainly know what to do, but there may be James-User which are
less familiar with the java commandline-options.

The solution is to precede the JVM_OPTS in "phoenix.sh" with "-Xms64m -Xmx512m ".

Just a thought:
The first time I searched the place to put those options in "phoenix.sh" I had to
study the half file where they are set. What about some config-vars at the beginning
of the file?

Best regards
Stephan

Re: Big eMails / Solution for "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space"

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Right at the top of phoenix.sh you find a doc section "Environment
Variable Prequisites" with all supported variables.
It suggests to use PHOENIX_JVM_OPTS.

Did you try if that works instead of altering JVM_OPTS?

  Bernd