Posted to dev@allura.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2013/08/15 20:02:14 UTC

Contacting other Apache projects

Oone of the compelling things about the Allura project is that it
provides a unified software forge, while Apache projects tend to operate
with a loosely coupled (or completely uncoupled) set of tools to develop
their code.

While one is usually reluctant to spam the entire committer@ list with
... well, with anything ... it may be useful to send a (well written)
message to committers@ that says:

1) Here's what Allura does.

2) Here's the kind of things we hope Allura does in the coming N months.

3) What kinds of tools would you, as a committer on the Apache Foo
project, like to see in a forge style tool, or are you completely
content with the status quo in Apache development tools?

Thoughts?

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com

Re: Contacting other Apache projects

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
> I think we may want to wait until we have our Apache instance of allura
up and
> running, so that we can show folks how it works (and there's a few CSS/JS
bugs
> on the standard theme that need to be addressed too).

Yes, I agree, such a message should go out only once we have an instance up
and reliable on ASF hardware, so that upon receiving the message a project
could set up a test instance and start tinkering.

Would be nice to have a polished message ready to go once that is in place.

--Rich

Re: Contacting other Apache projects

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.
On 8/15/13 2:25 PM, Rich Bowen wrote:
> On 08/15/2013 02:02 PM, Rich Bowen wrote:
>> Oone of the compelling things about the Allura project is that it provides a
>> unified software forge, while Apache projects tend to operate with a loosely
>> coupled (or completely uncoupled) set of tools to develop their code.
>>
>> While one is usually reluctant to spam the entire committer@ list with ...
>> well, with anything ... it may be useful to send a (well written) message to
>> committers@ that says:
>>
>> 1) Here's what Allura does.
>>
>> 2) Here's the kind of things we hope Allura does in the coming N months.
>>
>> 3) What kinds of tools would you, as a committer on the Apache Foo project,
>> like to see in a forge style tool, or are you completely content with the
>> status quo in Apache development tools?
>
> Oh, and also "Would you like to come help us make that happen?"
>

>> Thoughts?

Sounds great to me.

I think we may want to wait until we have our Apache instance of allura up and
running, so that we can show folks how it works (and there's a few CSS/JS bugs
on the standard theme that need to be addressed too).

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal

Re: Contacting other Apache projects

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Daniel Gruno <ru...@cord.dk>.
On 08/16/2013 02:22 PM, Roberto Galoppini wrote:
> 2013/8/16 Daniel Gruno <ru...@cord.dk>
>
>> On 08/15/2013 08:02 PM, Rich Bowen wrote:
>>> Oone of the compelling things about the Allura project is that it
>>> provides a unified software forge, while Apache projects tend to operate
>>> with a loosely coupled (or completely uncoupled) set of tools to develop
>>> their code.
>>>
>>> While one is usually reluctant to spam the entire committer@ list with
>>> ... well, with anything ...
>> It's been done before (I did it once, not too long ago) and with great
>> success. People tend to be positive towards receiving such mails, if
>> they are well crafted and explain exactly _why_ projects would benefit
>> from using this software.
>>
>>> it may be useful to send a (well written)
>>> message to committers@ that says:
>>>
>>> 1) Here's what Allura does.
>> If you're going to send to committers@, I'd put emphasis on what it does
>> _for projects such as Apache projects_, and not so much on _everything
>> it does_. So emphasis on collaboration (and exactly how this is
>> achieved, 'cause we know Allura is kind'a good at that ;) ) would be a
>> good thing.
>>

> Daniel would you be open to draft a message in this sense? Given your
> experience with Apache projects and your knowledge of Allura I believe
> you'd be able to capture the essence of what matters most to Apache folks.

I'd be delighted to do so, however, as Rich and others have stated, it'd
be real swell if we could get a forge up and running beforehand. That
way, the email to the committers could point to actual running demos
showing various nice features about Allura, so people won't have to just
read about it, but can try it out immediately as well.

Having said that, I'll get started on a draft about the services and
send them to the list when it's ready for some critiquing :)

With regards,
Daniel.

Re: Contacting other Apache projects

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <ro...@gmail.com>.
2013/8/16 Daniel Gruno <ru...@cord.dk>

> On 08/15/2013 08:02 PM, Rich Bowen wrote:
> > Oone of the compelling things about the Allura project is that it
> > provides a unified software forge, while Apache projects tend to operate
> > with a loosely coupled (or completely uncoupled) set of tools to develop
> > their code.
> >
> > While one is usually reluctant to spam the entire committer@ list with
> > ... well, with anything ...
> It's been done before (I did it once, not too long ago) and with great
> success. People tend to be positive towards receiving such mails, if
> they are well crafted and explain exactly _why_ projects would benefit
> from using this software.
>
> > it may be useful to send a (well written)
> > message to committers@ that says:
> >
> > 1) Here's what Allura does.
> If you're going to send to committers@, I'd put emphasis on what it does
> _for projects such as Apache projects_, and not so much on _everything
> it does_. So emphasis on collaboration (and exactly how this is
> achieved, 'cause we know Allura is kind'a good at that ;) ) would be a
> good thing.

Daniel would you be open to draft a message in this sense? Given your
experience with Apache projects and your knowledge of Allura I believe
you'd be able to capture the essence of what matters most to Apache folks.

On a separate line of thoughts I'd be interested in learning your ideas
about how heatbeats and allura could be integrated.

Roberto

Posted by Daniel Gruno <ru...@cord.dk>.
On 08/15/2013 08:02 PM, Rich Bowen wrote:
> Oone of the compelling things about the Allura project is that it
> provides a unified software forge, while Apache projects tend to operate
> with a loosely coupled (or completely uncoupled) set of tools to develop
> their code.
>
> While one is usually reluctant to spam the entire committer@ list with
> ... well, with anything ...
It's been done before (I did it once, not too long ago) and with great
success. People tend to be positive towards receiving such mails, if
they are well crafted and explain exactly _why_ projects would benefit
from using this software.

> it may be useful to send a (well written)
> message to committers@ that says:
>
> 1) Here's what Allura does.
If you're going to send to committers@, I'd put emphasis on what it does
_for projects such as Apache projects_, and not so much on _everything
it does_. So emphasis on collaboration (and exactly how this is
achieved, 'cause we know Allura is kind'a good at that ;) ) would be a
good thing.

As you said in the beginning, it's a unified software forge, which means
people won't have to ask infra for 17378 different tools every time they
set up a new project or migrate from podling to TLP, so maybe but some
of that in as a compelling argument.

> 2) Here's the kind of things we hope Allura does in the coming N months.
>
> 3) What kinds of tools would you, as a committer on the Apache Foo
> project, like to see in a forge style tool, or are you completely
> content with the status quo in Apache development tools?
>

> Thoughts?

With regards,
Daniel.