Posted to users@felix.apache.org by v2cg4ss <ss...@datamentors.com> on 2009/02/24 16:21:07 UTC

Installing Codec with Felix

I am getting the following error when installing the codec 1.3 jar in a Felix
environment:

org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unresolved constraint in bundle 7:
package; (package=org.apache.commons.codec.binary)

My bundle depends on the codec jar and I was under the impression I just had
to install any 3rd party jar to refernce the packages.

What do I need to do in order to reference the codec packages from my bundle
at runtime?

Re: Installing Codec with Felix

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Well, if you are getting a resolve exception when trying to start your
bundle, it means no one is exporting what you need. So, you need to look
at what you bundle is importing and what the other bundles are exporting
to see why they don't match.

-> richard

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
commons-pool and commons-dbcp very welcome :)

Re: Problems with SLF4J in Felix trunk

Posted by Thierry Templier <te...@yahoo.fr>.
Hello Stuart,

Thanks for your answer.

> certain fragments are still not yet fully supported and the framework
> will by default throw an exception when such fragments are installed.

The MANIFEST of the slf4j log4j-12 binding jar uses indeed Export-Package and Import-Package headers...

> to turn this into a warning, add the following configuration setting:
>
>    felix.fragment.validation=warning
>
> ( from
> http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-usage-documentation.html
> )
>
> note this just turns the install exception into a warning, it does not
> affect the current state of fragment support in the Felix framework.
>
> [ I'll add this to the framework FAQ ]

Thanks for the hint!!

Cheers,
Thierry

Re: Problems with SLF4J in Felix trunk

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.
2009/2/26 Thierry Templier <te...@yahoo.fr>

> Hello Richard,
>
> I'm trying to make work SLF4J with Felix 1.4.1 and have the same problem
> than Jon:
>
> org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Fragments with exports, imports, or
> native code are not currently supported.
>        at
> org.apache.felix.framework.util.manifestparser.ManifestParser.validateFragment(ManifestParser.java:270)
> (...)

certain fragments are still not yet fully supported and the framework
will by default throw an exception when such fragments are installed.

to turn this into a warning, add the following configuration setting:

   felix.fragment.validation=warning

( from http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-usage-documentation.html )

note this just turns the install exception into a warning, it does not
affect the current state of fragment support in the Felix framework.

[ I'll add this to the framework FAQ ]

when I try to install and start the slf4j / log4j / commons-logging bundles:

> - com.springsource.slf4j.api-1.5.0.jar
> - com.springsource.slf4j.log4j-1.5.0.jar
> - com.springsource.slf4j.org.apache.commons.logging-1.5.0.jar
> - log4j.osgi-1.2.15-SNAPSHOT.jar
>
> Do you have investigate the problem further and fix it?
>
> Thanks very much for your help,
> Thierry
>
> > Ok, this definitely appears to be a bug in Felix. We just added checks
> > to throw exceptions when starting/stopping fragments. I thought I put
> > checks around all cases where we start/stop bundles, but apparently I
> > missed some. I committed a fix for this, so hopefully it should not be
> > an issue now. Just in time, since we are cutting a 1.4.1 release right
> > now. :-)
> >
> > If you can test it really quickly right now and tell us for sure if it
> > is working, then that would be awesome...but I guess we cannot expect
> > quick turnaround on Saturday. :-)
> >
> > Thanks for reporting it.
> >
> > -> richard

Cheers, Stuart

Re: Problems with SLF4J in Felix trunk

Posted by Thierry Templier <te...@yahoo.fr>.
Hello João,

Thanks for your answer!

> I'm using slf4j with log4j binding, and it works quite well. Just had to
> make the change to felix.fragment.validation as Richard suggested .

I'm not sure to undestand how it can work if the fragment of the slf4j with log4j binding isn't supported. Perhaps do you use a binding packaging without fragment?

I'm really interested to know how you make it work!

Cheers,
Thierry

Re: Problems with SLF4J in Felix trunk

Posted by Thierry Templier <te...@yahoo.fr>.
Hello João,

I think that I have the explanation. Some slf4j with log4j bindings are based on fragment features and other not. I used the wrong one...

> I'm using slf4j with log4j binding, and it works quite well. Just had to
> make the change to felix.fragment.validation as Richard suggested .

Thanks for your help!!
Thierry

Re: Problems with SLF4J in Felix trunk

Posted by João Assunção <jo...@joaoassuncao.com>.

Posted by Thierry Templier <te...@yahoo.fr>.
Interesting to know!
Thanks Dieter,
Thierry

Posted by Dieter Houthooft <di...@lin-k.net>.

Posted by Thierry Templier <te...@yahoo.fr>.
Hello Richard,

Posted by Alin Dreghiciu <ad...@gmail.com>.
Or you may take it form here:
http://www.springsource.com/repository/app/bundle/version/detail?name=com.springsource.org.apache.commons.codec&version=1.3.0

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 6:01 PM, v2cg4ss <ss...@datamentors.com> wrote:

> Richard,
>
> Thanks for the reply, I found the Felix Commons page:
>
> http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-commons.html
>
> which then led to the commons codec 1.2 pom:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12350907/pom.xml
>
> I followed the instructions on the page:
>
> http://felix.apache.org/site/creating-bundles-using-bnd.html
>
> to create a 1.3 osgi bundle for the commons codec and I just got it working.
> So using the exmple pom I should be able to convert some of my existing 3rd
> party GUI jars from JIDE if they don't have OSGi versions already.
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott
>

> Richard S. Hall wrote:
>>
>> You cannot install arbitrary JAR files into OSGi, they must be bundles.
>> Is the codec JAR a bundle that exports the needed package? If not, you
>> need to convert it into a bundle, for starters.
>>
>> -> richard
>>
>> v2cg4ss wrote:
>>> I am getting the following error when installing the codec 1.3 jar in a
>>> Felix
>>> environment:
>>>
>>> org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unresolved constraint in bundle 7:
>>> package; (package=org.apache.commons.codec.binary)
>>>
>>> My bundle depends on the codec jar and I was under the impression I just
>>> had
>>> to install any 3rd party jar to refernce the packages.
>>>
>>> What do I need to do in order to reference the codec packages from my
>>> bundle
>>> at runtime?

Alin Dreghiciu
http://www.ops4j.org - New Energy for OSS Communities - Open
Participation Software.
http://www.qi4j.org - New Energy for Java - Domain Driven Development.
http://www.codedragons.com - New Energy for Projects - Great People
working on Great Projects at Great Places
Sent from: Huissen Ge Netherlands.

Re: Installing Codec with Felix

Posted by v2cg4ss <ss...@datamentors.com>.
Richard,

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 5:01 PM, v2cg4ss <ss...@datamentors.com> wrote:

> Richard,
>
> Thanks for the reply, I found the Felix Commons page:
>
> http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-commons.html

The state of play wrt to OSGi releases of Apache Commons components is
detailed here:

http://wiki.apache.org/commons/CommonsOsgi

We have the felix maven bundle plugin configured in our (Apache
Commons) parent pom, so all new releases should be OSGi enabled. There
has been talk of a codec release, but it hasn't happened yet.

Niall

Posted by v2cg4ss <ss...@datamentors.com>.
Richard,

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.