Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jerald Powel <ge...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2003/09/10 08:56:50 UTC

TC logfiles

Hi,
     I may have posted this previously, but dont think I was subscribed when I did! Enough of that..apologies if so.
          I am trying to differentiate Apache and Apache Tomcat in terms of the serving mechanism, and subsequent log files. Of course, Apache is a web server, and Tomcat a servlet container, but Tomcat also is a/has a web server? If Tomcat contains a web server as a seperate entity, where can (if at all) the Apache httpd.conf file be found to configure such things as the log files produced?
         This post relates to efforts to run Analog on multiple Tomcat log files (which it cannot currently recognize and discards).

What I am really trying to say is how do I configure logfile format for Tomcat?

Many thanks

Jerald.

---------------------------------

Re: TC logfiles

Posted by Jon Wingfield <jo...@mkodo.com>.
I assume you mean the access logs. Have a look at the contents of
<TOMCAT_HOME>/conf/server.xml and look for a Valve element for the
access logs. I'm fairly sure you can make the pattern the same as Analog
expects. Here's the reference for the Valve config:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/valve.html

HTH,

Jon

Re: TC logfiles

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
You can pass in your own custom pattern to the access logs to get any format
you desire. The pattern syntax is modeled after the apache access log syntax.

You can also have as many access logs as you wish. You can have an access log
(or logs of different formats) at the engine, host level or the Context level.

-Tim

Re: TC logfiles