Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com> on 2018/06/09 14:00:04 UTC

[users@httpd] Are passwords with embedded spaces allowed using htdbm?

I can get htdbm to accept a cleartext password with spaces when using the
mode where I enter the password at the command line, e.g.,

  htdbm -cB dbmfilename user

and the password is validated ok using

  htdbm -vB dbmfilename user

but I can’t get it to work using the batch mode:

  htdbm -cbB dbmfilename user passwordwithspaces

I have tried using single quotes around the password as well as backslashes
before the space without success.

I would love to be able to programmatically use passwords with spaces if
anyone can show me how to do it.

Thanks.

Best regards,

-Tom

[users@httpd] Re: Are passwords with embedded spaces allowed using htdbm?

Posted by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jun 9, 2018 at 09:00 Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I can get htdbm to accept a cleartext password with spaces when using the
> mode where I enter the password at the command line, e.g

I’m sorry for the wasted bandwidth, but I proved myself wrong!  I used a
bash script sussessfully but I wasn’t able to use Perl 6 successfully.

However, I was trying to use the Perl 6 “run” command whch didn’t work.
When I changed to the Perl 6 “shell” command, all worked well!

(The differences in the two commands includes how spaces are handled.
 “run” was treating the password as two or more separate words.  I could
have used “run” differently to overcome that and I will do so.)

Best regards,

-Tom

.,