Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Shirish <sh...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/20 14:45:57 UTC

Query Regarding the Ramp Up Period in "Forever" Mode and Loop Mode

Hello JMeter'ians,

While working with JMeter, I am just confused with the Ramp-up period field
in two different situations.

Ex. 1.
     No. # Thread (Users): 5
     Ramp Up Period: 300 sec
     *Loop Count #: 1*
My Understanding: 5 Users will hit to the server in 300 secs (1 min for 1
user).

Ex. 2.
     No. # Thread (Users): 5
     Ramp Up Period: 300 sec
     *Loop Count #: Forever (when i schedule it for a particular period say
for 30 min.)*
     My Understanding:* I am not clear on this front **... What is the use
or affect of Ramp-up period here in this scenario (scheduled mechanism)?*

Is there no purpose of this Ramp-Up period in Forever mode??? (I hope
I am *wrong
*here in this consideration)

Thanks,
Shirish

Re: Query Regarding the Ramp Up Period in "Forever" Mode and Loop Mode

Posted by sergio <se...@bosoconsulting.it>.
Il 20/03/2012 14:45, Shirish ha scritto:
> Hello JMeter'ians,
>
> While working with JMeter, I am just confused with the Ramp-up period field
> in two different situations.
>
> Ex. 1.
>       No. # Thread (Users): 5
>       Ramp Up Period: 300 sec
>       *Loop Count #: 1*
> My Understanding: 5 Users will hit to the server in 300 secs (1 min for 1
> user).
mmmh
in reality, the ramp up is the time we give to the server to start all the threads.
In this case, the first thread is started at the time 0, the second one after 1 minute etc....

Most of the time, I allow 1 sec for each thread.
A different reason to use a long ramp, is to avoid that all threads end doing the same operation at the same time, which makes the
test much worse than reality.
A random timer should work better in this case.

regards
sergio

--

Ing. Sergio Boso

In caso di erronea ricezione da parte di persona diversa, siete pregati di eliminare il messaggio e i suoi allegati in modo
definitivo dai vostri archivi e di volercelo comunicare immediatamente restituendoci il messaggio via e-mail al seguente
indirizzosergio@bosoconsulting.it <ma...@yahoo.it>
L’interessato può, inoltre, esercitare tutti i diritti di accesso sui propri dati previsti dal decreto 196/2003, tra i quali i
diritti di rettifica, aggiornamento e cancellazione, inviando un messaggio all’indirizzo:sergio@bosoconsulting.it
<ma...@yahoo.it>

Re: Query Regarding the Ramp Up Period in "Forever" Mode and Loop Mode

Posted by Shirish <sh...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Sebb, Sergio for your suggestions.

I went thru the article provided and also discussed the same with my team.

Query: In the second case...
No. # Thread (Users): 5
     Ramp Up Period: 300 sec
     *Loop Count #: Forever (when i schedule it for a particular period say
for 30 min.)*
     My Understanding:* Still we are not clear on this front :( **... What
is the purpose or affect of Ramp-up period here in this scenario (scheduled

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.