Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by netsql <ne...@roomity.com> on 2005/11/26 14:55:17 UTC

home page of struts lists related projects....

I think home page should include a link to sister project:
http://ibatis.apache.org

I'd say a lot of users use it.
And struts still does not have a dao api, a big minus.

There are other projects listed on home page/releated projects and I'd
argue that iBatis is #1 related project.

oto further... some distro of Struts should include iBatis DAO (not the
SQL Map, and include JSTL, etc. and not include logic, bean tag anymore,
maybe even Java WebParts, Struts Menu, displaytag included, etc.)

.V

Re: home page of struts lists related projects....

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 11/26/05, netsql <ne...@roomity.com> wrote:

> I think home page should include a link to sister project:
> http://ibatis.apache.org
>
> I'd say a lot of users use it.
> And struts still does not have a dao api, a big minus.

As Ted mentioned, to many people, including myself, this is a big plus.

There are other projects listed on home page/releated projects and I'd
> argue that iBatis is #1 related project.

I'd say Hibernate is the #1 DB-related project. Both of the companies that
I'm aware of whose core business is supporting Open Source stacks that
include Struts combine it with Hibernate, rather than iBATIS, and they do
that because that's what their customers are demanding.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 11/26/05, netsql <ne...@roomity.com> wrote:

> Idea is that one would not have to set up a project, that's boring.

Exactly. :)  It's
mvn archetype:create ...
mvn idea:idea                <-- pick your IDE
... and open the project.

> Key is that time be spent that choices be as simple as possible.
> If you are doing that in Maven, great, especialy that it would keep the
> jars up to date to latest.  What is the svn url if any?

The 'Struts Blank Archetype' is in the sandbox, but it's not going to
do anything useful until the 1.3 artifacts are in a repository.  (You
can install them, but it's rather a lot of typing, and it assumes you
have Maven 2 installed.  See the README.)

I'm not sure I'm going to go further than Struts Blank and Shale
Blank, at least not here.  Frank and Martin already brought up the
issue of endorsing any particular solution, plus the problem of what
combination of things to provide.

--
Wendy

Re: home page of struts lists related projects....

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
Martin Cooper wrote:
> Adding this kind of how-to to the wiki is a perfect use of the wiki,
> although I'd be leery of having a boatload of links directly from the Struts
> home page. (Imagine all the combinations we might end up with.

Absolutely, a bunch of links would be a mess... but a single link under
the Development heading to a page with all the links (think
master-detail essentially) I think would be rather helpful.

Then again, I suppose one could argue that simply better organizing the
Wiki front page would do the trick nicely :)  Perhaps *that's* the
discussion that should ensue...

Frank

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 11/26/05, Frank W. Zammetti <fz...@omnytex.com> wrote:

> I personally would *NOT* want to see anything on the Apache Struts site
> that has any extras (from outside the Struts project itself) in it, in
> any combination, even my own Java Web Parts :)
>
> The reason is that if there was a package on the Apache Struts site I
> could download that included iBatis for example, that's almost an
> implicit promotion of iBatis over Hibernate and Torque and everything
> else.  I don't think that's the message that should be conveyed.
> Likewise, Java Web Parts as another example, is not the only such
> project out there, and while obviously I think it's a good answer in
> many cases, it shouldn't be promoted over any other such project by
> Apache Struts, explicitly or implicitly.

Exactly! And, as Ted mentioned, those extras just become cruft to people who
don't want to use that exact combination of packages.

For example, in my most recently completed project, we built a front end to
a high availability grid system, and used the system's custom protocol to
talk to it. What would be the point of having iBATIS thrown in there?

Also, people can already obtain (commercially supported) full stacks
including Struts, from elsewhere. For example:

http://www.sourcelabs.com/?page=software&sub=sash

I don't see a need to do that as part of the Struts project.

That being said, I'm with everyone else that says HOWTOs and Wiki pages

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 11/26/05, netsql <ne...@roomity.com> wrote:

> JSTL?
> What about jUnit (or MockObject)?
> Ant (or Mave)
> And Rico ;-)
>
> etc.
>
> I would put it on struts.sf.net like I used to.
> There are too many choices, so just make not bad choices.

If you don't want to make bad choices, why did you include Rico in your list
above? ;-) That would most definitely count as a bad choice in my book.

--
Martin Cooper

.V

Posted by netsql <ne...@roomity.com>.
JSTL?

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.

Posted by netsql <ne...@roomity.com>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 11/26/05, Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

> (I also thing an IDEA HOWTO would be a great addition for
> the IDE section.)

I started a page on the Wiki when I noticed how out of date the IDE
guides were (last summer.)  I think they've seen some updates since
then, but the Wiki page is still available if anyone would like to
contribute to it:
  http://wiki.apache.org/struts/StrutsIDEGuides

My initial intent was to get help with IDEA, having just started using
it.  (Thanks, JetBrains!)  But two days in, everything Just Worked and
I couldn't really think of anything Struts-specific to write.  I'm
sure I haven't figured out a quarter of what it can do, though.

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
On 11/26/05, netsql <ne...@roomity.com> wrote:
> I think home page should include a link to sister project:
> http://ibatis.apache.org
> I'd say a lot of users use it.
> And struts still does not have a dao api, a big minus.

And others might believe it is a big plus, since many teams have their
own thoughts about what a DAO API should look like. The Struts Action
Framework was built on the idea that it is a lightweight core that can
be easily extended.

> There are other projects listed on home page/releated projects and I'd
> argue that iBatis is #1 related project.

We do have links to iBATIS, as well as similar products like
Hibernate, in the documentation. There's a link to iBATIS in the
Database HowTo

* http://struts.apache.org/struts-action/faqs/db-howto.html

and another to the iBATIS JPetstore on the Learning page

* http://struts.apache.org/struts-action/learning.html

which, speaking as both a Struts and iBATIS committer, seems sufficient.

If someone wanted to contribute a Struts-specific iBATIS HOWTO, we
could plug that into the HOWTO section. Likewise for Hibernate or OJB
or Torque. (I also thing an IDEA HOWTO would be a great addition for
the IDE section.)

> oto further... some distro of Struts should include iBatis DAO (not the
> SQL Map, and include JSTL, etc. and not include logic, bean tag anymore,
> maybe even Java WebParts, Struts Menu, displaytag included, etc.)

Under the Apache License, any one can create a distribution of Apache
Struts, they just can't call it "Apache Struts" per se.

A "full stack" distribution that included Struts is a good idea, but
it seems outside the scope of Apache Struts right now. With so much
going on, even with all the new blood, the committers are stretched
quite thin these days. If we roll a full-stack "Struts on Rails"
distribution, there will be an expectation of a high level of support,
and I don't know if we would be able to provide that right now.

If there's one other thing we could do, it might be to revitalize the
announcements page , and jumpstart the long-neglected announcement
list, so as to help promote new and existing extensions. It wouldn't
surprise me to see third-party Shale extensions popping up before
long.

Perhaps for ApacheCon, we should announce announcements@struts.apache.org :)

A good place to start might be by fixing the link on the mailing list
page, which I just noticed is wrong.

-Ted.