Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Ke...@eyield.com on 2002/06/03 19:17:06 UTC

Re[2]: Re[2]: Re[2]: Small question on Struts !

Hi Kevin,

The problem is solved. Thanks for your help anyway.

Keep in touch !

warm regards

--Kedar

Subject:    Re: Re[2]: Re[2]: Small question on Struts !
Author: "Struts Developers List" <st...@jakarta.apache.org>
Date:       5/31/02 8:38 AM

Not sure -

try just changing it in your directory structure prior to running te build.

Kedar.Upadhye@eyield.com on 05/31/2002 02:13:29 PM

Please respond to "Struts Developers List" <st...@jakarta.apache.org>

To:   "Struts Developers List" <st...@jakarta.apache.org>
cc:    (bcc: Kevin Bedell/Systems/USHO/SunLife)
Subject:  Re[2]: Re[2]: Small question on Struts !

I think u may be right. For some reason, the war file shows the folder name
as
"web-inf" instead of "WEB-INF". How do I change it ? I could not find it in
the
build.xml.

thanks a lot !
regards
-- Kedar

Subject:    Re: Re[2]: Small question on Struts !
Author: "Struts Developers List" <st...@jakarta.apache.org>
Date:       5/30/02 10:37 AM

in the "web_inf" directory?

Should be the "WEB-INF" directory - case counts in Java. Is this it?

Kedar.Upadhye@eyield.com on 05/30/2002 02:39:14 PM

Please respond to "Struts Developers List" <st...@jakarta.apache.org>

To:   "Struts Developers List" <st...@jakarta.apache.org>
cc:    (bcc: Kevin Bedell/Systems/USHO/SunLife)
Subject:  Re[2]: Small question on Struts !

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for taking time to respond to my problem. (And thanks also for a
detailed
response !! ) :-)

However I have checked all of those things already and everything seems to
be in
order, namely the name of the war file, the contains of the war file and
also
the structure create by tomcat when it runs. I can even see the web.xml in
the
web_inf directory but Tomcat , for some reasons, is not able to find it. I
am
not sure why.

regards
-- Kedar

Subject:    Re: Small question on Struts !
Author: "Struts Developers List" <st...@jakarta.apache.org>
Date:       5/29/02 12:39 PM

Kedar -

Welcome to Struts!

>From the info you've sent, I'm going to assume the following:

 - That your Web Application file is named "PROTO"
 - You're using Tomcat
 - This applicaiton works on some other platform , but you're having a
challange as you get it to work on your own machine.

Here's how to deploy the application on your local machine:

First, acquire the applicatoin in a .war file format. (If you have
questions on this, please respond and I'll try to provide more direction).

The application is archived in the .war file. It is archived in the
standard directory structure for J2EE web applications, that is:

 top

  + index.jsp

   + (other jsp files and sub-directories)

   + WEB-INF    (required!)

     + classes/com/company/path/to/packages      (all java .class files)

     + lib  (store .jar files here)

     + web.xml   - the Web Application deployment descriptor (just an xml
file with info on this application)

     + struts-info.xml  - The Struts application config file

If you "jar" this directory structure and name it "myApp.war", then Tomcat
will automatically deploy it if you stop & start the server (try this!).

Once the app is deployed, you can find it in the directory (I believe),
webapps/myApp/... under Tomcat.

So - looking at your info, it looks like things should be:

 -- Since you're trying to fetch the url "/PROTO", this should mean tyour
webapp is in a file named "PROTO.war"
 -- Since you're fatching only "/PROTO" (as opposed to "/PROTO/file1.jsp",
you're fetching a default document.
 - My guess is that your webapp may be named something other than
"PROTO.war" - though I could be wrong...

so I'd try this:

 -- Verify the name of the .war file containing the application
 -- Open the .war file in Winzip to look at the files (and directory
structure)
 -- Verify that the structure of the .war file is as it should be (i.e.,
you have a WEB-INF directory with a web.xml file in it, etc.).
 -- restart Tomcat and type in the URL for the index page of the web app
again (http://localhost/PROTO - assuming the war file is "PROTO.war").

Also, after startup check to make sure the .war file was expanded correctly
and look at the directory structure. Make sure you have a "WEB-INF/web.xml"
file.

For more info on this, you may want to review the latest Java Servlet/JSP
specs from Sun or a good basic book on JSP development.

Best of luck!

FWIW -
Kevin

Kedar.Upadhye@eyield.com on 05/29/2002 07:05:59 PM

Please respond to "Struts Developers List" <st...@jakarta.apache.org>

To:   "Struts Developers List" <st...@jakarta.apache.org>
cc:    (bcc: Kevin Bedell/Systems/USHO/SunLife)
Subject:  Small question on Struts !

Hi All,

I am a beginner in the Struts world and as such losing my way in this new
thing.
Hope to find some help in this mailing list.

My problem is like this:

I am trying to build and deploy an small , introductory application, which
is
working on some other machine, on my computer.

All the XML files are in order and in the correct path. However when I
build and
deploy this application the browser shows the following error:

Apache Tomcat/4.0.3 - HTTP Status 404 - /PROTO

type Status report
message /PROTO
description The requested resource (/PROTO) is not available.

When I went into more details I found that the Tomcat log shows the error :

Internal Error: File /WEB-INF/web.xml not found

Can anyone tell me what's the cause of this error ? Any hints or guesses
are
welcome.

warm regards
-- Kedar