Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Joseph Dunn <jd...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/25 22:08:38 UTC

strange behavior in svn co

I recently tried to check out an old version of a directory from my
repository and found that I couldn't.  Months ago I deleted this
directory using svn del, so I looked up which revision it was still
around in and then attempted to do an svn co --revision=X.  Instead of
checking out the directory it complains about not being able to find it
in the head revision.

Interestingly, I can create an empty directory in the repository at the
same path, check out the now empty directory, then "update" back to the
revision I want.  Thinking this is a bug.

I've attached a bash script that reproduces the simplest case I could
come up with.  Check it for exact details.

-Joseph Dunn

Re: strange behavior in svn co

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jul 26, 2006, at 00:08, Joseph Dunn wrote:

> I recently tried to check out an old version of a directory from my
> repository and found that I couldn't.  Months ago I deleted this
> directory using svn del, so I looked up which revision it was still
> around in and then attempted to do an svn co --revision=X.  Instead of
> checking out the directory it complains about not being able to
> find it
> in the head revision.
>
> Interestingly, I can create an empty directory in the repository at
> the
> same path, check out the now empty directory, then "update" back to
> the
> revision I want.  Thinking this is a bug.
>
> I've attached a bash script that reproduces the simplest case I could
> come up with.  Check it for exact details.

Please read about the difference between peg and operative revisions.
You are specifying the operative revision when you need to be
specifying the peg revision.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.2/svn.advanced.pegrevs.html