Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Arnaud Cogoluègnes <ac...@gmail.com> on 2024/02/12 17:03:12 UTC

ProtonJ2 client asynchronous API?

Hi.

I'm trying out ProtonJ2 client and I noticed it's only possible to check
the status of a sent message and receive messages in a "pull-based manner"
(Future<Tracker> and Receiver#receive).

I was wondering what the rationale is behind this design (e.g. let the user
decide on the threading model to get outbound message status and inbound
messages). Are there any plans to provide an asynchronous API in the client
library, based on e.g. user-provided callbacks or standard API like
CompletableFuture?

Thanks!

Re: ProtonJ2 client asynchronous API?

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On 2/12/24 12:03, Arnaud Cogoluègnes wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm trying out ProtonJ2 client and I noticed it's only possible to check
> the status of a sent message and receive messages in a "pull-based manner"
> (Future<Tracker> and Receiver#receive).
>
> I was wondering what the rationale is behind this design (e.g. let the user
> decide on the threading model to get outbound message status and inbound
> messages). Are there any plans to provide an asynchronous API in the client
> library, based on e.g. user-provided callbacks or standard API like
> CompletableFuture?
>
> Thanks!

There are no plans to implement an asynchronous API for the protonj2
client no.

The client provides a simple imperative API that applications and
frameworks can use to implement their own preference of asynchronous
handling for send completion and receive calls.

--
Tim Bish