Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by rockytriton <ro...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/29 17:26:53 UTC

HBase configuration using two hadoop servers

I'm finding the documentation for HBase to be very lacking.  I finally got it
setup so I can connect 1 hbase to 1 hadoop server though.  What I would
really like to do is have 1 HBase server connecting to 2 hadoop servers on
different boxes, so that the data is replicated.  Are there any tutorials on
doing this?  What would be the steps to take?

Re: HBase configuration using two hadoop servers

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 5:26 PM, rockytriton <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm finding the documentation for HBase to be very lacking.  I finally got it
> setup so I can connect 1 hbase to 1 hadoop server though.  What I would
> really like to do is have 1 HBase server connecting to 2 hadoop servers on
> different boxes, so that the data is replicated.  Are there any tutorials on
> doing this?  What would be the steps to take?

Where is the documentation lacking?  Can you cite the location?  A few
of us work on trying to keep it up so we are particularly interested
in new user's difficult experience figuring stuff out.

I'm not sure what you mean by 1 HBase server connecting to to 2 hadoop
servers?  Is that two datanodes?  By default hdfs replicates unless
you tell it not too.  Or are you talking about hbase-level
replication?

St.Ack

Re: HBase configuration using two hadoop servers

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Asaf Mesika <as...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've decided to write an end-to-end Installation guide for HBase, which also includes HDFS, user configuration and tons of other stuff no guide ever mentions, in a blog post: http://blog.devving.com/hbase-quickstart-guide/
>
> I hope that all the newbies who get task assignment like I have at work - Setup a cluster and benchmark it - can save time and go home earlier with this guide :)

Thanks for doing this.

What would you say is here that is not in the reference guide regards
the HBase setup.  What are we missing such that you could not change
your blog and have it point to the reference guide for the part where
it comes to installing HBase?

Thanks,
St.Ack

Re: HBase configuration using two hadoop servers

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.
Nice initiative.

Regards,
    Mohammad Tariq

Posted by Asaf Mesika <as...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Asaf Mesika <as...@gmail.com>.
I've tried editing but I don't have permissions. What should be done to
obtain them?

Yeah I am. Look, using hbase over Linux and hdfs seems like the basic
installation for an hbase newbie from my perspective. Thus quick starting
this scheme could save time for many people.

Sent from my iPhone

On 30 ביונ 2012, at 17:53, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 3:50 PM, Asaf Mesika <as...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm new to HBase my self, and when first trying to learn its installation

path, I couldn't find a descent installation guide end-to-end (HDFS, HBase,

Linux specific stuff, etc).

So, you complain about the hbase doc because it does not cover linux
and hadoop too?  (Just trying to understand).

I wrote an installation guide notes, which I'll be happy to expand into a

full fledge guide, if it can be added to the HBase wiki.

Rather than right from new, perhaps you could edit what we have to
fill in the holes you see in it (Others have done so to help us make
the doc better): http://hbase.apache.org/book/quickstart.html

Those notes were collected from various locations such as: Horton Networks

blog, HDFS reference guide, HBase reference guide, HBase The Definitive

Guide, and other obscure blog posts.

Sounds good.  The more sources the better.

St.Ack

Re: HBase configuration using two hadoop servers

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Asaf Mesika <as...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.