Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Kerry Voss <ad...@kerryvoss.com> on 2021/05/01 19:42:39 UTC

Brackets an Adobe Project.

I am sure that we all have heard that Adobe is no longer interested in
maintaining Brackets. I am looking at Apache to adopt the Brackets
Project and think it would be a good fit for your organization. I think
that it would be a great time for you to strike a deal with Adobe to
takeover the project and maintain it on Apache.org. I have nothing to do
with Adobe but I am a Brackets User as are many and it does have a
rather large community of people like me that use it everyday and don't
wish to see it go or be mishandled by some Organization. I thought of
you taking open office over and you have done a wonderful job of
maintaining it. If you could look into it I think it would be a good
move for you and you would be taking over an Adobe Product of great open
source value to the community.

Re: Brackets an Adobe Project.

Posted by Andrew Wetmore <an...@apache.org>.
Hi, Kerry, I too think Apache would be a good home for Brackets. As you may
know, each Apache project has a Project Management Committee (PMC) that is
responsible for it. You, as a Brackets community member, are ideally placed
to find a half dozen other Brackets users who should be willing to be the
core of that PMC.

Apache has a great incubation program that helps new projects and their
PMCs find their feet in open source and grow into working in The Apache Way.

With such a PMC identified, it becomes much easier to negotiate a donation
of code and resources from Adobe.

If this seems interesting, I can point you to some documents that explain
the incubation process.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Sat, May 1, 2021 at 10:04 PM Kerry Voss <ad...@kerryvoss.com> wrote:
> ...I am looking at Apache to adopt the Brackets
> Project and think it would be a good fit for your organization...

Note that the ASF doesn't have a technical strategy, on purpose, as we
"just" provide space for our projects to flourish. So what the project
does is not really relevant to incubating at the ASF.

As Andrew mentioned, the first step for a project to join the ASF is
to prepare an incubation proposal, see
https://incubator.apache.org/cookbook/ for how that works.

The ASF cannot "adopt" code without explicit permission from whoever
owns that code, so besides an initial community a Software License
Grant would be needed, as per
https://www.apache.org/licenses/contributor-agreements.html

I see at https://github.com/adobe/brackets that Adobe is encouraging
people to fork on GitHub if they want to continue developing the
software. That's cool, but I don't think that's sufficient for the ASF
to adopt that code, an explicit donation of the code to the ASF would
be needed.

-Bertrand