Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jacob Miller <ja...@denjak.com> on 2005/05/27 02:29:51 UTC

[users@httpd] Running apache on 127.0.0.x

I would like to run each apache as the user who owns the files of a
particular virtual host.
Ex. Denjak would run the denjak.com apache.
To do this I've setup an apache running on 127.0.0.1:80 as the "test" user.
I've tested the localhost apache using wget 127.0.0.1 and I get my test
index.html so I know that the localhost apache is running correctly.
I can't seem to figure out how to proxy the requests throught the main
apache running on a public IP through to the apache running on the 127.0.0.1
address.  These are the configurations that I've tried:

In httpd.conf:
ProxyRequests On
ProxyVia On
ProxyRemote http://test.denjak.com/ http://127.0.0.1:80
Include www.denjak.com  (These are other virtual hosts configured)
Include .... Etc etc

In a virtualhost:
<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName test.denjak.com
ProxyRequests On
ProxyVia On
ProxyRemote http://test.denjak.com/ http://127.0.0.1:80
</VirtualHost>

Do I need to set ProxyRequest to On?
Do I need to set ProxyVia to On?
Do I need to use something like ProxyPass?
Is what I'm trying to do even possible?
Is support for something like perchild MPM going to be available in the
future, I imagine it would be quite useful.

Test.denjak.com is in my hosts file, so it's not publicly available, sorry.
I can make it available if it would help.
I don't know what I'm doing wrong, and I can't seem to sort through the
proxy documentation.

Thanks,
Jake Miller

RE: [users@httpd] Running apache on 127.0.0.x

Posted by Jacob Miller <ja...@denjak.com>.
Not that anyone would ever want to do this, but...
I've solved my own problem.

Simply configure a virtualhost on the "public" apache that looks like this:
<VirtualHost 192.168.0.96:80>
        ServerName test.denjak.com
        ProxyPass / http://127.0.0.1/
        ProxyPassReverse / http://127.0.0.1/
</VirtualHost>

No need for ProxyRequests On
No need for ProxyVia On
No need for ProxyRemote (anything)

I still need to make sure that all the GET and PUT variables will be passed
correctly, but this all appears to be working well.  If anyone has any
better suggestions I would appreciate them,
Thanks,
Jake

ProxyRemote http://test.denjak.com/ http://127.0.0.1:80 </VirtualHost>