Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> on 2004/12/05 19:08:27 UTC

What binds us (Re: [VOTE] Struts 1.2.6 Quality)

As always, everyone is invited to vote on everything. :)

The website is still a little out of synch with what has been decided on the dev list. Right now, the best reference for the release process is the Release Checklist.

* http://struts.apache.org/release-checklist.html

This document obsoletes the link to Jakarta Tomcat's guidelines, which cover more than the release process. We just have gotten around to removing the link yet.

The Struts resolution includes an instruction to draft a set of bylaws, which we have done here:

* http://struts.apache.org/bylaws.html

As to who has binding votes and why:

The copyright to Struts codebase is owned by the Apache Software Foundation and distributed under the Apache license. But, if the foundation's eyes, Struts "belongs" to the community. Through a corporate resolution,

*http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2004/board_minutes_2004_03_17.txt

the foundation has delegated the task of creating and maintaining Struts to the Struts PMC. The PMC makes the day-to-day decisions, which includes determining whether a distribution is "ready for primetime" or not.

Because the PMC is the body created by ASF corporate resolution, only the votes of the PMC members are "binding", in a technical, legal sense. But, if we have three PMC members voting "yes" and a dozen other people voting "no", I'm sure the PMC would reconsider. The foundation's goal is to create codebases that survive its creators and any given set of maintainers. The health of the community always comes first.

The important thing to remember is that the Struts PMC is not a government, it's a team. Like most teams, we set up procedures so that we don't have to reinvent the wheel over and over again. But we do not serve the procedures, the procedures serve us. There are legal reasons why the PMC has to authorize a release on behalf of the foundation, but I believe most of us would give as much weight to votes of Committers, and Developers, and Users, as we do PMC members.

For a while at Jakarta, the Committer's votes were considered "binding" too. But, from the ASF board's perspective, they were never binding in a technical, legal sense. I've strongly suggested that the Jakarta documentation be updated, but others felt it better to leave it alone. However, there is a now policy at Jakarta to make all the committers PMC members as soon as possible, to cure any procedural issues.

Some of our procedures do have to be legally binding to ensure that there is no question of owns the Struts codebase and where it came from. All the ASF committers have agreements on file that assign the rights to our commits to the Foundation, there is a resolution by the Foundation that created Struts, there are regular PMC reports to the board about the status of Struts, and the PMC is responsible for vetting each and every change we make to Struts, either ourselves or through a committer.

Legally, the Struts PMC that makes all the decisions on behalf of the Foundation, because the PMC is the legal body that the Foundation created. We make those decisions based on feedback from everyone in the community (including our own experiences, since we are also members of the community we serve). Inviting everyone to vote is one way that we collect feedback.

-Ted.

Re: What binds us (Re: [VOTE] Struts 1.2.6 Quality)

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
I buy into what Ted said on legality/reality. The reality is that if
anyone -1's anything then they have to justify why, whether they're a PMC
member or not - if someone puts forward good reasons for a -1 then they're
not going to be ignored. On the other side of the coin the more people that
+1 a release (or decision) the better, whether they're PMC,committer,
contributor or user. I belive its going to be a rare occasion when when the
PMC ploughs ahead with somthing when people ae -1'ing.

Niall

> Good stuff :-)  Thanks Ted and Niall for the clarification.  My apologies,
> again, if I came off as being obtuse.  I just wasn't seeing it.  Niall's
> message helped, and I really apprecite your note fleshing things out, Ted.
>
> Eddie

---