Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Stephen Friedrich <tr...@eekboom.com> on 2007/08/09 00:44:31 UTC

[Trinidad] Skinning - Getting started

Creating/configuring a skin for my app gives me headaches.
It seems all documentation is outdated - it either refers to ADF Faces
or to older trinidad versions.

- What default skins are available? I have converted one of my
   application from ADF Faces, but now it looks damn ugly.
   I read somewhere else that the oracle.desktop skin is no longer
   available (but a sensible myfaces/trinidad skin does not exist either).
   Also I got confused because oracle-desktop.xss is still part of
   Trinidad 1.2.1.
- Is trinidad-skins.xml described somewhere? Is there a schema definition?
- When will the skin selector docs be updated?

Re: [Trinidad] Skinning - Getting started

Posted by Stephen Friedrich <tr...@eekboom.com>.
Oops, my bad: Should have read the FAQ that says you have to use tr:document.
I can offer an excuse though: I started with the JBoss Seam example seamdiscs
that shows how to integrate Seam and trinidad.
There even is a comment in their trinidad-config.xml
"Use our own skin, vaguely like the a4j blueSky skin"
I never noticed that despite that comment the skin is never really used there.

Thank again, Stephen

Posted by Stephen Friedrich <tr...@eekboom.com>.
Thanks Scott,

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.
I'm hoping to get some of the internal Oracle docs on skinning
contributed to Trinidad in the very near future.  I agree it's
majorly in need of documentation!

-- Adam

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Perkins, Nate-P63196" <Na...@gdc4s.com>.
I'm attaching my oracle skin, I believe it is very close to the Oracle
look and feel without having the rendered buttons.  (I apologize for
having to attach each image individually, our email filters are rather
strict :))  The images are for the light panelBox (which is the default)
They could easily be modified to account for the other color options.

Another (for our project) notable discrepancy is the fact that in
Trinidad the panelSideBar can no longer be skinned with a imaged border
so we can not achieve that nice shadowed effect that Oracle had for its
menu3 facet of the panelPage. I had posted something on this subject but
never heard anything.

There are differences between the way Trinidad renders and the way ADF
rendered that cannot be accounted for in the skin though, so beware of
subtle (or not so subtle) spacing and sizing issues.  Firebug has been
invaluable to me in sorting out which issues I can fix with the skin and
which I need to use inlineStyle for.  Also turning off the style class
compression makes things much easier.

Nate Perkins

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nate, Stephen,

together with:

http://www.engr.uvic.ca/~mrobinso/RedwoodShores.jar

this means we'll definitely have to start a skin repository now.

regards,

Martin

--

http://www.irian.at

Your JSF powerhouse -
JSF Consulting, Development and
Courses in English and German

Professional Support for Apache MyFaces

Re: [Trinidad] Skinning - Getting started

Posted by Stephen Friedrich <tr...@eekboom.com>.

Posted by "Perkins, Nate-P63196" <Na...@gdc4s.com>.
I created my css directly from the oracle.xss

You should use the following structure

-public_html
  -skins
    oracle-skin.css