Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org> on 2006/06/05 19:03:51 UTC

Re: Recursive core architectural overview

Jim Marino wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There has been some mention offline of Jeremy and I providing an
> overview of changes to the SCA specifications and related recursive
> core architecture work going on in the sandbox, perhaps Wednesday.  I'm
> happy to do this, however, I'm a bit concerned that since this  has not
> been brought up on the list interested people may not be able  to attend
> on short notice. Also, a time has not been mentioned. I  propose
> 9PST-11PST, using a combination of Web-Ex and toll-free dial- in, which
> will be provided later.
>
> If interested people cannot make that time, please speak up so we can
> arrange an alternate (please don't hesitate to do so, even if you are
> the only one).

Jim, I'm afraid I can't make 8 to 10 on Wed - can do before or after.
--
Jeremy

Re: Recursive core architectural overview

Posted by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com>.
That works for me.

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.

Re: Project IP, was: Recursive core architectural overview

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Jeremy

I fully understand the ICLA and CCLA process. After all as an Apache
Committer I've signed one and I also was involved in pushing Steve
Gerdt at IBM to develop a corporate policy for CLAs when I was at IBM.

As regards the feedback license, I wasn't questioning the ability for
Apache IP to move to the spec group, though that may be an issue its
not one that I'm concerned with.

Let me be 100% clear. I am concerned about the committal of IP *into*
Apache from the Spec Group when the spec group has not officially
released this IP. I think the documents from Mike will help clarify
this, so I'll wait and see what Mike sends through.

Thanks again

Paul

On 6/8/06, Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org> wrote:
> Paul Fremantle wrote:
> >
> >> and track the specs
> >

> > That is the concern, if we are tracking unpublished specs. If you are
> > under an NDA with the spec group, then you may not have had the right
> > to contribute the code that you contributed to the sandbox. As no-one
> > has yet answered my questions about the the IP arrangements of the
> > spec group this is pure supposition. Maybe someone will get round to
> > answering those questions. Or maybe the NDA is under NDA and no-one is
> > allowed to post that information here :-)
> >

> The key thing here is that all contributors have signed a CLA that says
> that they do have the right to contribute the IP. In these times most
> software developers need to deal with Confidential material in some form
> whether it is part of their employment, a contract they are involved in,
> or other discussions. As it can't track all these arrangements, the ASF
> relies on its contributors to honour the contract that they signed.
>
> The feedback agreement is linked off the spec homepages but here's a
> direct link:
> http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/wsspec/agreement/sca
>
> As an indicator of how the process works you can see that the only
> information that is Confidential is that which is explicitly marked as
> "confidential" - which isn't much and certainly isn't stuff that we
> discuss in the project.
>
> As Jim said, you can also get the full participant agreement from Mike.
> I've pinged him as well and asked him to respond.
>
> --
> Jeremy

Paul Fremantle

http://bloglines.com/blog/paulfremantle
paul@wso2.com

Project IP, was: Recursive core architectural overview

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Jeremy

Thanks for the detailed reply.

> Geronimo has private lists for stuff under NDA and has had various
> people on different expert groups (e.g. a couple of us were on JSR-220).
> In general, there are a lot of Apache projects that work with the JCP
> and deal with the closed nature of JSRs - Tomcat, Portal, Axis come to mind.

1) Apache is a member of the JCP. Apache is not a member of the SCA
spec group. (Whose name I don't even know.)
2)  I believe that the only geronimo private list is for the TCK, and
only used for TCK compliance tests and results. I'm not sure that
there is a good analogy as there is no Spec based IP being donated to
that list. Furthermore it took a long time to clear up the IP issues
between the JCP and Apache. I have no faith that that model is
transferrable without legal review.

> Apache projects also provide functions over and above published
> specifications, features that are relevant to the users and developers
> of the project. Sometimes those innovations get picked up and included
> by specification bodies - open source shaping the future.

That is great. The code we write in Apache is completely open and
guaranteed by the ICLAs that users commit code under, and by the
Apache License.

> We just had an
> example of this with Tuscany where thoughts on a recursive structure
> (which have been in mind since before we came to Apache) contributed to
> a significant change in the specification.

Cool. Glad to hear it. I am very pleased by this because I hoped that
Tuscany would feel free to innovate beyond the published SCA spec.

> As a project, we can continue to implement a now-obsolete draft from
> last year, or we can innovate, influence

Yes we can innovate and influence. That goes from Apache -> Spec
Group, which is fine.

Posted by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com>.
On Jun 7, 2006, at 2:43 PM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> Paul Fremantle wrote:
>> Jim
>>
>> Its a great question. I think the answer is that they stick to
>> published specs, which is what I was expecting Tuscany to do given
>> the
>> closed nature of the spec group. I'll ask around to find out.
>>

> Geronimo has private lists for stuff under NDA and has had various
> people on different expert groups (e.g. a couple of us were on
> JSR-220).
> In general, there are a lot of Apache projects that work with the JCP
> and deal with the closed nature of JSRs - Tomcat, Portal, Axis come
> to mind.
>
> Apache projects also provide functions over and above published
> specifications, features that are relevant to the users and developers
> of the project. Sometimes those innovations get picked up and included
> by specification bodies - open source shaping the future. We just
> had an
> example of this with Tuscany where thoughts on a recursive structure
> (which have been in mind since before we came to Apache)
> contributed to
> a significant change in the specification.
>
> Remember too that the SCA specifications are still preliminary - they
> could be compared to Community or Early Draft review stages in the
> JCP.
> The expectation should be that they will change - I actually expected
> changes would be happening faster than they are.
>
> As a project, we can continue to implement a now-obsolete draft from
> last year, or we can innovate, influence and track the specs to the
> greatest extent that we can.

As additional background, there will be another spec "refresh" with
the recursive model in a matter of weeks. I'd like to see us have
support for that as soon as possible, particularly since many of the
ideas were worked on here as far back as December.

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Jim

Posted by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com>.
Paul,

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Simon

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.
Paul,

I'll try to spell out the way that the SCA Specification
collaboration works and the IP rules that apply.  I'll
do this in a post following from Mike Rowley's note on
"Project IP...."

Yours,  Mike.

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Jim

Posted by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com>.

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Jim

Posted by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com>.
Good question...

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com>.

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com>.

Posted by Rick <cr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com>.
Yes this would be appreciated. Can you make sure it's in a common
graphic format - I'm too cheap to shell out the $$ for a UML tool ;-)

Jim

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kenneth Tam <ke...@gmail.com>.