Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org> on 2011/01/27 07:58:23 UTC

A Maven archetype that helps packaging Solr as a standalone application embedded in Apache Tomcat

Hi all guys,
this short mail just to make the Maven/Solr communities aware that we
published an Apache Maven archetype[1] (that we lazily called
'solr-packager' :P) that helps Apache Solr developers creating
complete standalone Solr-based applications, embedded in Apache
Tomcat, with few operations.
We started developing it internally to reduce and help the `ops`
tasks, since it has been useful we hope it could be also for you, so
decided to publish it as oss.
Questions, feedbacks, constructive criticisms, ideas... are more than
welcome, if interested visit the github[2] page.
Have a nice day, all the best
Simo

[1] http://sourcesense.github.com/solr-packager/
[2] https://github.com/sourcesense/solr-packager

http://www.99soft.org/

Re: A Maven archetype that helps packaging Solr as a standalone application embedded in Apache Tomcat

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@hoplahup.net>.
Le 27 janv. 2011 à 12:42, Simone Tripodi a écrit :
> thanks a lot for your feedbacks, much more than appreciated! :)

Good time sync. I need it right now.

> * Yes it also packs a Solr webepp, it is needed to embed it in
> Tomcat. Do you think it could be a useful feature having also webapp
> .war as output? if it helps, I'm open to add it as well.

I feel so.
Or at least say that it's a side production even if it's not an individual goal.

> * src/main/webapp and src/main/resources are ignored because I didn't
> use the war plugin, everything is configured in the assembly
> descriptor ATM. As a workaround, you can add resources on src/solr/*
> subdirectory and it will be included in the webapp;

But only in WEB-INF/classes... that doesn't seem right to be served as a static resource (I'm looking at css or js files).

> when the war plugin will be plugged (previous comment), that issue should be
> solved.

Any time estimate?

> Can you tell me a little more about the velocity contrib, please?

I added the dependency.
I copied in src/main/solr/commons the velocity config files.

I note that I had to deactivate the query-elevation which seems to expect a solr-home.

> In the multicore, I'd like the solr.xml will be generated during the
> build-time analyzing the dependencies but I didn't figure out how to
> do it. Many thanks in advance!

I should also say. At first I tried the multicore one and it failed on me... not too sure why but it did not have sufficient output.

paul

Re: A Maven archetype that helps packaging Solr as a standalone application embedded in Apache Tomcat

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi Stefan,
thanks a lot, I'm joining now! :)

http://www.99soft.org/

Posted by Stefan Matheis <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Simo, it's freenode.net

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi Paul,

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi Paul,

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@hoplahup.net>.

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@hoplahup.net>.

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@hoplahup.net>.

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi Paul,
thanks a lot for your feedbacks, much more than appreciated! :)

Going through your comments:

 * Yes it also packs a Solr webepp, it is needed to embed it in
Tomcat. Do you think it could be a useful feature having also webapp
.war as output? if it helps, I'm open to add it as well.

 * src/main/webapp and src/main/resources are ignored because I didn't
use the war plugin, everything is configured in the assembly
descriptor ATM. As a workaround, you can add resources on src/solr/*
subdirectory and it will be included in the webapp; when the war
plugin will be plugged (previous comment), that issue should be
solved.

Can you tell me a little more about the velocity contrib, please? In

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi Paul,

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@hoplahup.net>.
Simone,