Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@topicus.nl> on 2004/11/16 18:49:28 UTC

Release procedure using maven scm:prepare-release

Hi all,

I've got a question concerning the way on how to perform releases.

If I've got
    <currentVersion>0.1-SNAPSHOT</currentVersion>

in my project A

and in project B:
    <dependency>
        <artifactId>projecta</artifactId>
        <version>0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
    </dependency>

And I want to release both project A and B to a new 'release' version,
and continue on development on the next release what should I do?

first question: is the released version called:
    <currentVersion>0.2</currentVersion>
    <currentVersion>0.1</currentVersion>
or <currentVersion>0.1-SNAPSHOT</currentVersion>
?

Should I use *THAT* version when asked by the SCM:prepare-release
plugin?
Should I manually rename the version(s) from 0.1-SNAPSHOT to 0.1 and
commit that to the scm before I perform the scm:prepare-release?

Thanks,

Martijn Dashorst

Re: Release procedure using maven scm:prepare-release

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
0.1-SNAPSHOT comes before 0.1. You should enter 0.1. When you restart
development, it will be 0.2-SNAPSHOT.

scm:prepare-release modifies project.xml (And changes.xml if you have
it) for you, then commits and tags everything. It only updates
currentVersion, not any dependencies.

Regards,
Brett