Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Allan Edwards <ak...@meepzor.com> on 2002/05/22 22:36:21 UTC

win32 changes from 1.3

In 1.3 we did not need to specify a drive letter
for ServerRoot and DocumentRoot paths but in 2.0
it appears we must specify the drive letter or Apache
will not start as a service. (note: the 2.0.36 .msi
install sets the drive letter so this limitation is
not immediately apparent to those users).

Also, in 1.3 the -k stop/restart directives worked
even if you started Apache from the command line.
Now it appears that -k is only effective when
running as a service.

Were these changes intentional or did they slip
in inadvertently?

Allan

RE: win32 changes from 1.3

Posted by Allan Edwards <ak...@meepzor.com>.

> > >+1  - at least for Windows
> >
> > And +1 for the rest, or was that simply +0 to do so in main()?
>
> why would we want to chdir() for the other platforms?  maybe it
> wouldn't hurt at this stage (we chdir("/") later in processing on
> Unix)

Well I don't feel comfortable giving the recommendation
for Unix etc, i.e. what the side effects might be so unless
someone else says +1 for main I would go with winnt_mpm.

Allan

Re: win32 changes from 1.3

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@attglobal.net>.

--
Jeff Trawick | trawick@attglobal.net
Born in Roswell... married an alien...

RE: win32 changes from 1.3

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

RE: win32 changes from 1.3

Posted by Allan Edwards <ak...@meepzor.com>.
> If your cwd is on another
> volume, that's a problem.  This hurts services, since the cwd will
> always be c:\winnt\system32\.

Yep, was installed on a non-C: drive

> I suggest we cwd to the server root on startup.  We can do this
> in the winnt_mpm, or for all platforms in main().  Opinions?

+1  - at least for Windows

> -k preferring a "service" was a deliberate change.

That was my guess, but I had to ask :)

Allan

Re: win32 changes from 1.3

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
At 03:36 PM 5/22/2002, you wrote:
>In 1.3 we did not need to specify a drive letter
>for ServerRoot and DocumentRoot paths but in 2.0
>it appears we must specify the drive letter or Apache
>will not start as a service. (note: the 2.0.36 .msi
>install sets the drive letter so this limitation is
>not immediately apparent to those users).

In 1.3 we screwed around with the current working directory to
fix it at the server root.

If you run Apache 2.0 on the same drive as the current working
directory, it will behave just fine [please demonstrate otherwise if
I'm missing the point of your comment].  If your cwd is on another
volume, that's a problem.  This hurts services, since the cwd will
always be c:\winnt\system32\.

I suggest we cwd to the server root on startup.  We can do this
in the winnt_mpm, or for all platforms in main().  Opinions?

>Also, in 1.3 the -k stop/restart directives worked
>even if you started Apache from the command line.
>Now it appears that -k is only effective when
>running as a service.

Because you don't need -k stop in order to stop the server,
ctrl+c and close window are both recognized.

Apache is a daemon [Service in Windows' terms].  Using it
otherwise is and should remain the exception, not the rule.
In 1.3, service support was 'experimental'.  In 2.0, console
support is 'experimental' and service support is rather well
pounded out.

>Were these changes intentional or did they slip
>in inadvertently?

Changes?  2.0 is a rewrite/overhaul, the code looks almost nothing
similiar to 1.3.  So you could say the cwd behavior was overlooked,
but the delta to 1.3 means we don't expect to behave identically.

-k preferring a "service" was a deliberate change.

Bill