Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Santosh Asbe <sa...@gmail.com> on 2005/11/18 13:10:23 UTC

[NET] Ftp copy hangs

Hi all,

I am facing a problem regarding FTP in Production. My issue is as follows:

I have the ftp server on AIX 5.3 and client on Linux RHEL 3.0. My client
uses a java API ( common-net.jar) for the FTP process.
When i open a single thread and transfer 100 files, the process get hung in
between. it behaviour is random. it is hung at 60th file or 10 files also.
We tried various option of 10 threads and 100 files per thread. and still
the problem persists. We have disabled the firewall ( earlier we thought it
was a firewall issue). We are using active ftp so only port 20 and 21 is
used for the transfer .

We observed the following things during analysis:
A process id on the server is hung. Also the ftp logs show that there are no
messages after making connection or opening a port.
We had done a TCP dump on Linux and Ipreport on AIX. We found that during
the ftp process that the client is unable to send a packet to server. as
this point the process hangs.
Has anyone faced this issue? Is this problem related to TCS/IP connections
of the Linux?

regards,
Santosh